The Skagit River Godfather in Action...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Red Shed, Jul 7, 2009.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Great Stuff Mike,

I really appreciated!!
    I think people live a bit far away will really appreciate your effort in casting education. Thanks! :thumb:

2. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    Really? that hack can't cast :D:D:D:D soooo kidding :clown::clown:

One of the cooler things I've seen recently was watching Mike and Greg nit pick the CND Comp line. They're both bombing near perfect casts and critiquing the line the entire time.

Mike is one of the best teachers around and patient... it only took a year and half for what he was telling me over and over and over and over again to begin to really sink in.

Thanks Mike.

3. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

well, you know he's just flipping it out there...the secret's in that (brand name deleted) rod he's using of course. Buy one, and you too can cast like the Godfather himself, guaranteed.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:eek:hgodicantbreathe:rofl:

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Yeah, pretty good casting for an old fart...........................

5. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

mike is the best!!!! wow, what a guy! ..... maybe he wont give me shit on sunday? yeah right! :):):) your still the best mike!

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

If only I could do that. I beat the hell out of the water. That's great stuff.

7. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Home Page:
    I really tried for different music, maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers.... a little B-52's...

What would be great is an overlay of Mike talking. Hearing him explain and teach the fundamentals is incredibly helpful. He has a great way of explaining the dynamics of the cast. There's a lot to be learned from Mike from both a casting and fishing perspective. I feel incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to spend time on the river each week with Mike.

8. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

I don't know, while I have never met him or had the privilege of watching him cast, I really think that the music (especially the woodwind one) is super fitting. Something about it seems to fit perfectly...the casting, the location, and the music.

9. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Yeah, isn't that like "Samurai" music? It would only be fitting to the Samurai Spey.

10. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

iagree completely!!

11. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Skagit River Godfather ...AND those he influenced!

Great point, Kristin. You helped me understand that I COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT in my earlier post in this thread!

Mike's video clearly demonstrates ease and grace in the casting of a master angler and fishing guide, but Mike's personal skills are trivial when compared to the way he has HELPED SO MANY OTHERS improve THEIR casting skills.

I'll stick my neck out here: I doubt there is another living guide or casting instructor anywhere in the United States who has helped so many improve their casting and angling skills to such a high level.

I love Mike's video, but perhaps the more impressive and more telling video would be a collection of shots of Mike's many students making FISHING casts in challenging situations--even better if that video could show a then-and-now sequence!

Thanks, Mike. I am not the quick learner that so many of your other students are, but you helped me enjoy my time on the river beyond any reasonable expectation!

12. FT

FT Active Member

Mike,

Eventhough you are a bit "tech challenged", it is nice to see that you are getting to have this finally coming to fruition. I know you have tried for a "few years" to get someone to do it to no avail. I for one am glad you are finally getting some of the recognition you are so deserving of, even if some thing you are a bit grouchy.

The first time my youngest son met you a few years ago when he was a wee lad, he asked me if you were a "Mountain Man". Now he just thinks of you as Mike, the old guy.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

:D

My lap top, a 'hand me down no less,' is so old you have to wind up a big spring to run the hard drive.:(

14. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Im with ya Bert, as a sunday student of Mike's I am forever indebted to him for teaching me the art of casting the doublehand..... i enjoyed my start w/single hand rods but have fallen for the spey......"IF YOU LISTEN, THE LINE WILL SING"
    ode' to mk

bhudda

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

This seems like a good place to put this bit of exciting news:

Casting and Fishing the Two-Handed Rod
    with Mike Kinney, Sept. 10 and 12

Orvis Bellevue presents a very special limited two-day steelhead school with Mike Kinney, who many consider one of our finest steelhead flyfishers and certainly, one of the best two-handed instructors of our time.

Let's say you can cast a two-hander reasonably well but could use some casting tips. But how about delivering the fly? Do you set your casts up with aerial mends to present your fly correctly? What do you do when your fly is in the water? Do you make a big sweeping upstream mend and then simply stand there with your rod hanging limp at your side and pointing downstream? Can you make a cast that gets the fly fishing as soon as it lands? These and other questions will be answered both in the class and on the water by the Jedi Master himself.

This special class is limited to four people only and will cost $260 per person.

Leland Miyawaki
    Orvis Bellevue
    425-452-9138