The Snap Swivel: Story, Swap, Contest

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ed Call, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Bob Jones, with you back IN we have eleven participants. Send me ten and you don't get one of your own back. Send me eleven and you'll get a whole set.

MtnWkr flies are in hand and Grand!

Freestone has a few to go and I won't send out flies until the Freestone set are in my hands.

2. Whit

Whit 19D

Went out in today's mail... should be there on Friday

3. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    8 done and glue drying, starting on the last. want to do two coats of softex before shipping. Not pretty but no one said I was a good tyer, I should have had lessons before it was too late. I may not try another swap or just be sure I can handle what's asked. Of course I did think I could do it untill now. Sorry every one that they're not better.

4. Whit

Whit 19D

I wouldn't worry about how pretty they are for this one Bob... those swivels were painful to tie on... mine are pretty basic, but hey... they might catch something!

5. Bob Jones

Whit, I'm sure they will catch something Key word thing. If something is big and dumb and mean they might bite mine. You got any big ugly carp over in those Snake river lakes? These things I tied are about 4 in and will sink like a stone I think. will have to try one to see. I'm hoping that they will work on chum but who knows untill they show up. By not pretty I mostly mean they don't look like I can tie at all, loose loops, bad knots, hair falling out, I couldn't et the hair stacked right at all, and it would twist every time I tried to cinch it down.

6. Ed Call

Remember, this was not intended to be a contest. It was a spoof off a friend's great childhood story of how fishing started. Anyone who thinks it is or would be easy tying a fly, to be used to try to fool, hook and hold a fish on a snap swivel, is a fool. What I can tell you is that we've put in some thought, some time in trial and error, refinement and such and because of that we've improved in some manner and hopefully that has been fun.

I'm gonna use these to catch fish too...maybe not exclusively for the next three years, should I find keeping the fish on as problematic as Freestone did, but I'm up for the fun in the trying.

7. Bob Jones

Okay they're in the mail should be there fri or sat. The coating seemed dry so we'll hope. Ed use them as you see fit. There are more than enough but give out the best if you can tell. I think there's at least one with none of the flash. and some didn't stick. Therels two on top that are on hooks for you and Free to try on chum. The one I threw in a bucket of water floated tail up so that changes things. They may all float and I didn't want that. The proto types all sank so I don't know for sure why. You doon't need to send me any of mine I have the first ones left to try. Are any of you going to get togeather to fish them? If so when and I'm not sure if I could make it as usual without a ride. If Whit comes from Pullman the maybe he could pick me up. I dont't think that's going to happen but I'm always dreaming . I won't hold it against you Whit if you don't make it. now I'm feeling better about it all now we're done, thanks Guys and Gal Happy fishin!

8. Whit

Whit 19D

Bob... you should have seen what I tried to tie first before falling back onto a bugger... it was a deer hair mouse with foam added to make it float... that thing was just downright ugly
    The odds that I could make it over that way are pretty slim, but I would be happy to pick up anyone on the way if it works out... I just can't wait to see the trophy pictures everyone will have from throwing these flies out there :D

9. Ralphie

Ralphie Mike Ralph

Ed - my flies have been sent, you should get them tomorrow. Hopefully, they will get dropped, smashed and run over by the mail truck...which should improve their appearance.

10. Ed Call

I'll be on the lookout for everyone's flies. Thanks a lot. I'll be fishing with Rob over the weekend and will get his flies then. Once I've got them all I'll take the photos and turn them around fast. I really look forward to some fishing reports. Maybe the local guys will get together and have a little fishing contest one day soon, swivel flies only...lake and/or beach?

11. Whit

Whit 19D

you might want to see if a local boy scout group or fishing expo is putting on a derby... maybe one of those fish will bite :D

12. Bob Jones

Rushed like crazy this morning to get them finished and coated and dry so I could package them safely before the mail came. the mailsusually here between 11 anD 2 so I'm watching as I pack them up and rush them out. So today it's the sub and he's usually way early but he gets here at 5: 15 so probably too late to make it out on time. Should be there tomorrow but probably Sat. now. I"m willing to fish most anytime if anyone wants to get togeather..

13. Ed Call

Bob, Ralphie and Whit are in the house. Three very different types of flies...all way more amazing than you guys lead me to expect. Sandbaggers, you are all a bunch of humble sandbaggers. Six sets of eleven in hand. I'll be picking up on in person later. Just a few folks left to get before we can put these to use on fish forms.

14. Ed Call

Rob handed his snap swivel beetles on Sunday. Still holding out for a couple more sets before I can split them up and get them back to all participants. Anyone with issues please PM me.

15. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

You guys realize this is the silliest thing that's ever happened on the internet right?

I will personally raise the stakes and buy whoever catches the first fish on a swivel a case of their favorite beer. You have to collect it at the hoh down. Nah, scratch that. I'll deliver it on the river meet-up of your choice!

Snap Swivel! Geeeeez!!!!