The Swang

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mark Bové, Nov 12, 2008.

1. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

I know a lot of fishermen that "slow fish" the fly by mending and manipulating the line constantly througout the swing. This really works for them. The most important thing when swinging the fly is the type of water that you are fishing. I know I am just repeating what everyone else has already said, but there are times when little to no mending is required and times when more mending is required.

MOST of the time I cast out just below 90 give it a good size mend....then just as the fly starts to swing and the line tightens I will give it a little mend to produce what I think is an effective swing. That is for most situations....if there is some structure a lot of times I will throw a mend out just to pause the fly a little longer in the bucket or the in front of the rock etc...

I like to have a semi-sideways (angled) profile for the fish to see. I like this better than a fly facing straight up-stream. The sideways/angled profile, in my mind, triggers more strikes.

But WTF to I know, I live in N. Idaho. There are no steelhead here.

I am going to start drinking now.

Cal

2. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    iagree particularly with the last line, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

3. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

1) Don't get me started.

2) Awesome.

Back on topic. I was out fishing with this couple. So, I feel I've gotten to know them well enough. At the end of the day, we hit the run by the Saloon in Fall City (I love that place).

Joe's a good guy. He's swinging this fly through the run and I look at him and said, "So Joe, ya' think you'd ever get Debby swinging". The picture of him smiling was priceless.

Ed

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Calvin, is the keg tapped? If so, I'll see ya in a few and we can talk about living some place where steelhead exist. :beer2:

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

". . . the swing's the thing!" Still applies. I'd not follow others through a drift if I had my druthers, regardless of how they're fishing it. At best, they're a distraction; at worst they're fish vacuum cleaners meaning I get nothing more than casting practice. I fish the swing differently for summer runs than I do winters, with deep and slow being requisites for the latter.

I tight line a cast made at 90* or more upstream if, and only if, the current is set up to make such a cast fish right. That situation occurs, but it's far from the most common. I mend a little, or a lot, far, or short, or not at all depending entirely on how the current is working in the place where I'm presently casting and fishing. I fish my line from fairly straight to a slight downstream bow to the mellow "J" all according to the current in the run. I like my fly swimming in a cross current presentation, or close to it, to maximize the visual stimulus to a waiting fish.

With depth being less of an issue in the summer, I'm more likely to make an angled cast downstream providing I can cast far enough to cover all available holding water. Otherwise I'll cast straight across river at 90*. In the winter I usually cast about 90* or slightly upstream unless the combination of depth, current speed, and sinking rate of my tip indicates a more downstream cast.

Sg

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Another very important thing to remember about the swing is that if there were a lot more steelhead we wouldn't spend 1/5th of the time talking about these details as we do.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I spend most of my time judging a run before I fish it. I can usually tell by looking at the run if it may hold a fish or not. As far as how I present a fly with the swing. I throw line out, I mend, I look around and take in the sights paying little attention to what is happening with the line. I can usually tell if I am fishing by the feel of the rod as the fly moves through the swing. After the swing I do it all again cast, mend, look around. It is more important to understand the water you are fishing then anything else. Learn to read water and the rest will take care if itself.

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

whew! no shit. I was just thinking the sameptyd

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

The Swang/Swing......Some guys get it, some guys don't.

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Swinging/swanging...............some guys catch fish, some guys just talk about it.

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I'm gussing we'd all be spending less time talking about it if the rivers were in shape. ;)

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

iagreeiagree

Yeah That

13. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Swing/Swang/Swung

As said above depends on the water and where the fish are holding. I have runs that I cast steep long and others require a shallow and short. I didn't mind following some people through a run depending on how they are fishing and approach the water.

14. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Home Page:
    I hear I shouldnt follow you threw on the kalama...

15. inland

inland Active Member

"if there were a lot more steelhead we wouldn't spend 1/5th of the time talking about these details"

I don't think so. :D We would spend even more time arguing over subjective crap. Nuances that catch more fish. Or so we think catch more fish.

William