Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Woods REALLY DO Have Eyes!!!!

8K views 90 replies 49 participants last post by  Daryle Holmstrom 
#1 ·
So my buddy who I fish with during the regular season is a poacher. I have argued with him for years and years about this but he claimed he would do it until he got caught. He has some stretches that are away from the road where he can park in the bushes et cetera and hike his way in. He practices C&R so he acts like it is no big deal. Anyway, I told him that he was going to get caught one of these days and regret it BIG TIME and guess what, it happened a few days ago.

This is basically what he told me, it was his 29th birthday last weekend and he decided to go steelhead fishing on a closed North Sound River at a usual place. He fished and didn’t catch anything and drank some beers and headed home, he than went out with some buddies to get shit-faced and doesn’t remember what happened after that but he got home somehow. So, the next morning at about 9AM he hears a loud knock at the door and being hung over, tries to go back to sleep, the knocking does not stop but persists and gets louder. After a while he gets up and looks through his curtains, he says a very official looked slicked back hair man wearing a bulletproof vest, sunglasses, black pants, and a gun is standing at his door. The man is driving a normal looking truck but it has federal plates. He decides it is time to open the door. The man at the door explains that he is a federal agent who has been brought into the area recently to target poachers and that he is covering several rivers. He has portable cameras he can place in the woods at strategic points and that he records activity at the rivers and at the pullouts for plate numbers. He says he has my friend on video and that he used the plate numbers to track him to his address. He also says don’t bother looking for the cameras because they are tiny. Anyway, my buddy got a HUGE fine, and if caught again will lose fishing privileges for life. The agent says that he is being nice to first time offenders as many don’t realize this program is new and getting bigger and that he wants word to get out.

Anyway, this brought a smile to my face, I am SOOOOO glad to hear something like this is getting going. Seriously, it is about f’ing time. My buddy told me to post on this website to let everyone know and he grudgingly admits that this is great news even though he paying a BIG ticket.

TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO TELL THEIR FRIENDS. The woods really do have eyes! :eek:

See less See more
#79 ·
Why do you have to be all derogatory and take it to name-calling. I merely stated that by you condoning his poaching brings your integrity into question.

Its ok to be defensive about it, I probably had the same attitude when I was a kid and lacked maturity.

#80 ·
Why do you have to be all derogatory and take it to name-calling..
Because you just concluded I was as guilty by association among other huge insults.

Again, you are an idiot and I would like to add I have never resorted to name calling on this forum before in all 1000+ posts and arguments I have been in so congrats.

I merely stated that by you condoning his poaching brings your integrity into question..
I never said it was okay at all. Never would....ever. Never poached EVER. In fact I said he got caught and I am happy about it because I always disagreed with him about it.

What you are actually saying is that I am integral to all law breaking by anyone I have regular communications with or consider a friend; otherwise known as: guild by association.

Its ok to be defensive about it, I probably had the same attitude when I was a kid and lacked maturity.
As in, before you were a lonely old curmudgeon with no friends?

I would like to add that if you want to talk about fishing it is all good but don't go around on the internet casualling telling people how to live their personal lives (like who they should be friends with) unless you want to be called an idiot by me.

#81 ·
I was in the C.O.R.T class in Mount Vernon last Saturday, and one of the WDFW agents talked about a guy they had just busted. The timing, and what details that he did give, agree what with what Jason described.

If it is they same guy, they even told him when what kind of cany bar he ate when he was poaching.

#83 ·
Again, you are an idiot and I would like to add I have never resorted to name calling on this forum before in all 1000+ posts and arguments I have been in so congrats.
Hey Jason, read that real close. In particular, the part where you call him an "idiot," but you don't call people names. :thumb::beathead:

#84 ·
Yeah, my point was that he is the first. I think that is pretty obvious actually :beathead:.

#90 ·
Never said you were a poacher, never implied you were a poacher. Please reread my postings. What I did say was that because you knew your friend poached and you did nothing about it you are (IMO) as bad as he.

Your complacency with the situation is what I question. At what point would you "nark" on him anonymously (which is what the turn-in poacher is...anonymous)...would you do it if he shot a deer out of season? If he sold you some sturgeon caviar he poached? If he stole some gas from the local gas-n-go? If he ran over someone while drunk driving? Would have turned in someone you didn't know if you knew they were poaching?

I guess you have to ask yourself at what point do your principles mean more to you than the possibility of losing your friendship? From what you have said, you value friendship more than natural resources and law abiding. I, however, do not, and I am neither old, friendless, nor without integrity.

I am quite fine with you or anyone else for that matter thinking I am an "idiot" for stating my principles. I sincerely hope your principles guide you well in your future endeavors and friendships.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.