The Works!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jami_wa, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hywel

Hywel New Member

I don't know if I'm really qualified to answer this question. Accumulating tying materials has become a hobby in of itself for me - and I'm a tying tool and gadget junkie.

I'll offer my humble advise simply by saying, no matter what you buy, buy the very best you can afford. There's nothing more frustrating (especially to a beginning tyer) than working with low-quality tools and inferior materials.

On kits; There are well-meaning companies and fly shops that sell kits, usually marketed as "everything you need to get started". However, I know many new tyers that have fallen for that sales pitch, and have ended up throwing a good portion of the kit away.

Hywel

2. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

I'd start off by going to your local shop, let them know you're getting into tying and would like to get yourself a nice vise with tools. Come with a list of maybe 4 or 5 patterns you'd like to start off with, and ask him what materials you need to tie them. Then as your skills expand you'll collect more materials to increase the number of different patterns in your fly box!

3. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

Thanks Guys! With further reading and comparing the list Cabezon put on the post as well as other members I have to agree the kits aren't what I need. LOL @ rival to the fourth largest Fly Shop in Seattle. I plan on going to the local Fly Shop here for some stuff.....he has some nice fly tying tables with vises I have been looking at for some time now. Looking at some of the nice fly tying cabinets and desks online heh it might pay off that I am into woodworking also. You guys are great and so helpful! thanks Again -Jami

4. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Any feathers from a wild source should be checked carefully for bugs. If any are found toss it out its not worth the risk to deal with. If none are found put in ziplock bag in freezer for 2 weeks. Take out for 1 - 2 weeks and check for bugs again then back into the freezer for two weeks again and leave out for 2 weeks again and check for bugs again. I have been known to freeze for months at a time just for safety because it would suck to lose other expensive hackle and fur. At this point it can be used to tie flies with but, always keep the wild material well away from fly shop and craft store material and in plastic totes store in diffrent rooms even if possible. All material should always be keep in plastic bags or totes keep apart from one another and not left outside of its bags on the tying table when not in use. Remember freezing will kill the bugs that have hatched but not the eggs. That why you should freeze at least twice.
    Some who tie use either mothballs or dog collar peices in the storage bins but I have never been convinced that this works myself but I guess it could not hurt.
    My last batch of wild pheasent feathers tails I speed up the process by freezing for 2 weeks then boiling for 5 minutes but be carefull if you boil feathers to not over due it or you may damage the material. Do not boil feather that you plan to use for dry flies because they can lose their stiffness.
    All of this is the advice I have received over the past two years when I started to use some wild feathers gotten from hunters both on line and meet in the field. The advice came from many fly makers that have used wild fur and feather for years. Plucked feathers are much easier to deal with then those still on the skin and for feathers still on the skin you will have to talk to someone else since I have never tried it.
    Myself I would stay away from road kill and feathers from a beach and stick with feathers from fresh killed animals from hunters and those mounting the animals for displays. As for the Peacock its so inexpensive from the fly shop, I not sure if I would even bother with myself unless it was for the sword feathers for some nice saltwater Tom Thorns I have always wanted to tie up.

5. crobarr

crobarr New Member

10 pk. Green Peacock Back Feathers - $10
    Peacock Secondary Quills - 12"- 14" - $13
    Peacock Secondary Quills - 10"- 11" - $9
    Peacock Secondary Quills - 7"- 8" - $7

i could go on, but you get the point. swords, eyes, and strung herl are cheap, but nothing else on a peacock is. if you call that inexpensive, then my hats off to you. if you don't use those feathers, then it's no worry, but some of us do use them, and getting them cheap/free is a very good thing.

6. crobarr

crobarr New Member

was just getting a few things together to tie up some flies tomarrow and realized i forgot a couple tools. neither are required, but i find both VERY usefull for the tying i do.

Marc Petijean Magic Tool Clip Set-

dubbing brush maker- i built my own crude version. you can buy 1 for around $70. look in the gallery for 1 somebody else made, sorry i forgot who it was, been a while since a seen it.

7. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Don't foget beer, lots and lots of beer.

8. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

Ewwww Beer lol....Brewery = Horses peeing in big vats...then going into small cans forsale......lol oh wait maybe you couldn't tell I don't like beer....hey but maybe it would come in handy killing bugs on feathers? Or I could soak my flies...heh drunk fish...they will eat anything....

9. Desmond Wiles

you are correct that any beer found in a can tastes like horse piss

that's why I prefer the bottled variety, dark please!

10. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

OK, OK... Make it chilled white wine for you!

11. Sloan Craven

EVERYONE likes beer. It's simply a matter of finding the right beer. :beer1: I'm guessing Lindeman's Framboise would be a good place for you to start.

Desmond- I found a good canned beer, I mean other than Guinness. It's called Old Chub. It's a scottish style ale brewed in Colorado. Perfect for fishing-- goood beer, no glass, easy to pack in and out.

12. Desmond Wiles

I forgot there was one exception to my distaste for canned beer, I just don't buy it all too often unless at a pub, and when I do buy it in a can, it gets poored into a chilled glass! :beer1: I'll have to try your Old Chub, where did you find it?

13. Sloan Craven

It was at this beer specialty store. I'm trying to get a case of it for DF.

14. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Call me childish, but whenever I read this:

I start to giggle...
    :rofl:

15. Desmond Wiles

bad dog, bad! No, I won't call you childish, just a perv!:rolleyes: