There's always hope (wild steelhead/salmon)

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChrisC, Dec 17, 2004.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

I found this inspiring. As far as I know, the Napa River and its tributaries flow through land that's been intensively used for agriculture and urban development. Additionally, as far as I know (Bob L or Philster can correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Napa River has never had any hatchery program on it.

http://www.ncffb.org/?read=282780

2. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Awesome...is there anything as relentless as the will to live and sustain one's species, even if it's purely instinctive?

Wow...it does give you some hope.

:thumb:

3. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Many streams in central CA have seen increasing salmon returns recently... maybe due to local efforts for habitat restoration, maybe Mother Nature's grand plan with "ocean conditions." I've yet to read a study confirming either.

4. Trevor

Trevor Member

Home Page:
    Great story!

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

He mentions in the article that old timers (maybe I don't qualify; I'm only 67) will remember the days when the Napa River steelhead were more prolific.

Well, this one doesn't. But there were a few and it did get mentioned in the San Francisco Chronicle every now and again under the weekly fishing report. Not much of a stream, it flowed through the City of Napa and was full of old cars and I suspect sewage.

Never fished it but it was only about an hour from my house and I surely would have if I had ever heard anything good about it. The Bay Area then, which would include Napa I guess, had a population of over four million people so the pressure would have been horrific.

I have a hard time believing this story but I will because I want to. I'm wondering if the river is open to fishing? :confused:

Bob, the Sorry I can't be of more help even though I was on scene as it were. :ray1: