thinking about a new camp stove

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Sagebrush, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

we set up the stove this morning, its a little bigger tan my old Coleman and will require some better packing in the action packer we use for the kitchen equipment while camping. Shouldn't be a big deal though. The bottle went on smoothly, fired up the piezo ignition, no more matches! Played around for a little bit and found that we could get and hold low heat easily, no creep. Full blast is very high from what we are used to and should heat water much quicker. Cooked
    some eggs for breakfast and again heat was steady, no creep. we are very impressed and pleased with this purchase.

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Man, just looking at the pitch on the camp chef site about not heating up the house by using one of these instead of the kitchen stove for canning reminds me of how much I want one. To say nothing of, you know, using them for camping.

I love the food that my wife cans. But the process turns our house into a sauna at the worst time of year.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I've have a 3 burner Camp Chef I bought about 10 years ago. When we do the big family camp outs or cook outs the thing has become an absolute necessity. All I can say is get one. We will use it tomorrow as we are having quite a few over for the show. Two barbies, one smoker and the Camp Chef should provide enough cooking surface for the entire crew. The crab cooker also if someone shows up with crab and or shrimp.

I have a couple of smaller 2 burner propane stoves and one old timer white gas stove I use when I camp by myself. I like to use the old time white gas stove once in awhile for nostalgic reasons. Something about pumping up that old stove that causes me to recall camping with my family 50 years ago.

4. FLGator

FLGator Member

Know you mentioned sticking with picnic tables, but wanted to add my two cents on tables.

FWIW I had the table mentioned in the photograph earlier and it worked great...to a point. The elastic broke. I tried to re-string the elastic with the spacers (at least the ones I was able to find and pick-up to save) and it didn't work. This failue rendered the table borderline useless and made me start researching and figuring out what I needed for a replacement.

I switched to a Roll-a-table and it's been fantastic. In fact, I now own two and they serve their purpose very well.

5. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

I can say that the only disappointing thing about the stove is that it will not fit in my action packer.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Most of the new ones have a metal hinge, not elastic. :) So they don't have that problem anymore.