Thinning Head Cement

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Warren Perry, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

I recently bought a bottle of Dave's flexament and it is the consistency of honey. I feel that I have more control if it were alot thinner. I went back to the fly shop and bought some thinner. My question is what ratio of cement to thinner do you recommend?

Thanks
    Warren

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

I personally have never used Dave's Flexament for head cement. I have used it primarily for coating my turkey wings and the like. I did at one point put some thinner in it that I bought from a fly shop and just added a little at a time till I liked the thickness of the cement, but other then that I would use a thinner head cement then Dave's. I use hard as nails for all my tying. Love it.

Harley

3. 2 Much Fishin

2 Much Fishin New Member

I have thinned some before and I was shocked at how little thinner it took to thin the cement. My suggestions is start with a VERY little and add until you like the consistency.

4. lcconrad

lcconrad New Member

You can thin Flex cement in fact you can buy a thinner made by the same company, comes in the same size jar, or go to your local Home Depot and buy a can of paint thinner. Use an eye dropper and use a little at a time. I thin most of my head cement so it soaks into a thread head. I am using Hard as Hull and really like it. Yes i do keep it fairly thin.

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I usually start with around 1/3 thinner 2/3 Dave's and find it works fine. It thickens up quickly. I add a little thinner every week or so.

Rod