This thread has happened before...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I met my wife on craigslist. That is advanced dating tactics.

2. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Under which category Evan?

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I posted an ad under"free stuff"

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Well done but she paid too much.

5. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Good popcorn thread! I understand the rant, but agree with salmo that douchery is pretty well distributed throughout the hordes. Case in point: I was down on a SW river this last weekend and ran into some fly flinging douchery. So much so that I lost my patience and left the run which I have never done in the years fishing that same spot, even with three times the amount of people. Went downriver and fished with some gear dudes who were much nicer and had some decent conversation.

I've seen bad behavior on both sides, two handed, one handed, and gear. It always sucks to deal with douches. Fortunately it seems that there are more decent fisherpeople than douches, but that equation will probably change with the constant influx of population.

6. Mike Lee

Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

FC, are you really that arrogant? I mean seriously, are you so great and have achieved so much that everyone here is below you? You said it yourself that "it's all about EGO". Are you talking about your Ego? I don't know you and it's been a while since I've been on here, for all all know you may be an alright guy with some good mojo, but for now you're just a guy that likes to piss people off, talk down on a very popular targeted fish, obviously a bad ass caster, and a total pessimist. so from you're posts I have learned that as long as I don't count on you for anything I won't be disappointed.

Ok then.

Evan, I agree with Salmo, perhaps you're a magnet for the yuppy fly guys.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I agree there are douches all around, but the douchery that happens within the two handed dweebs usually comes with an air of "holier than thou" that rubs me the wrong way. Strangely enough, I only get this attitude when I am visibly fishing some other method (nymphing or gear) In the past month or so, I've run in to at least a half dozen such dweebs. Can't tell you a single gear guy, or even single hander guy that had the same attitude.

8. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

i really get the impression from some guys that if they couldn't fish with a fly-rod (or with a spey rod, or bamboo rod, or dry-fly only, or whatever....) they wouldn't fish at all. i can't relate to that. i love fishing period. i fly-fish almost exclusively now, but i can turn on the shows about noodling for catfish, or river monsters, or anything and still get pumped. i love fishing. the will to live at one end of the line, the will to feel alive at the other.

9. orangeradish

orangeradish 1/2 an Ira

Home Page:
    Mrs. Burck is a pretty cool lady.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Lately I've put away my speyrods,And got the bell equiped pole holders & Plunkin gear out and had a ball with the missus & friends up on the skagit plunkin & socializing, don't miss the my spey cast is better than yours bullshit at all.

11. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

I've never met a dick head spey guy on the river. I have met plenty of gear guys breaking rules, Powering sleds right through runs, leaving trash all over rivers, and just basically being douches bags.

12. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Sorry Evan, I didn't recognize you with a gear rod in hand. Had I known it was you I'd not have been such a dick.

13. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

You nailed it Mike FC is better than all others.......or at least he thinks he is.

14. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Maybe it was the boat, the person, who knows...I don't get out anywhere near enough anymore but in perspective I took a buddy out on the Sky two weeks ago and came in at the top of a big pool where a spey caster was fishing, most likely practising. I waded in above 'bout 50 ft or more Looks were exchanged nothing was said or nodded, etc and we both got into our individual thing. He was a good caster and given I wasn't catching squat, I was watching him cast. One was a real beauty of easily 100+ feet with seemingly no effort like a sweet spey can do. I said "nice" and gave a thumbs up, he said "thanks" that was it. Now don't really know what my point now is but spey guys are not all dicks and I'm hairy arsed enough not to care about what folks think about me. My gear buddy from MI is so desperate to learn and catch fish it takes me back to when I was a kid and had the same burning desire to be a good fisherman, didn't worry about how it was done. As a foreigner I've noted that folks up here a more than a wee bit cold or plain weird when you ask something as threatening as 'how are you?' and maybe speying brings out the worst in them. Evan, from your posts you always seemed fairly chilled to me (other than on folks munching w/steelies and we're all with you there). I wouldn't sweat about this, there's f all you can do about folks like that anyway and most of them keep the likes of Leland/Anil/Poppy in business so something good comes out of it I suppose.

Dave

15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Why can't fishermen just enjoy what they're doing and provide some slack for those who are doing something different. Give a man his water should be the rule...if he was there first he deserves it regardless of gear choices. Floating or wading it doesn't matter. This is not difficult stuff, respect one another and we'll all get along...unless we suffer from a superiority complex.