This week's reel seat project

KB2

They say plagiarism is the highest form of flattery, so here is my spin on a Struble U-24. I machined the hardware from stainless steel, and the insert is Lignum Vitae. Insert diameter is .640, overall length 3.5. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. There is no finish on the insert yet, that is the next step.

KB2

Great work. A little hard to see they detail on the knurling - how does it look it person?

The knurling is OK, the wheels I have aren't the best, I have ordered some good ones with an extra fine pitch, next one will be better.

KB2

What does this assembly weigh? For a lighter rod polished anodized aluminum would be sweet!

Looks great, keep on sharing.

_SHig

I don't have the best scale in the world, but as near as I can tell it weighs about 1.5 oz. Stainless Steel is actually slightly lighter then Nickel Silver, but tougher to machine.

KB2

I think I finally have my design pegged. Below is the final product after changes. A couple of small modifications to lighten it up a bit. This one is 1.4 oz, can't get much lighter with Stainless Steel. The insert diameter is .625, well suited for 4-5 weight rods. Will also be building some a .600 diameter for 2-3 weights.

KB2

Finished a couple more.

This one has a .600 diameter Clairo Walnut Burl Insert. Total weight is 1.25 oz.

This one has a .625 diameter Cocobolo Insert. Total weight is 1.4 oz.