Thoughts on 10'6" switch rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mulligan, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Ryan Buccola

Ryan Buccola I ain't broke but brother I am badly bent

Home Page:
    mullie
    my wife thinks that rod is sweet!. i heard kraig loves it too. i also heard it is a fav for all girs in iowa. you should pull the trigger!

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

I use the Beulah 7/8 10'6" switch. With the back belly section of a 10/11/12 wincutter, and 10 to 13 foot tips, it skagit casts as far as you would want it to even with 6inch lead eye flies. As a Scandinavian "splash and go" caster, I find it not as good, but I've never spent the time to find "THE" line for it either. I'm pretty sure a 25 to 27 foot line would be the ticket for scandinavian, but with the skagit working so well, I just can't get motivated to put in the time...

3. Coonhound Jed

Coonhound Jed New Member

I just ordered my beulah 6/7 switch from Bruce for the sandy clave. As far as my experiences go, kenai king nailed it. The 10'6 spey casts extremely well but also single hands very well too!! I am going with beulah's new skagit Tonic line for spey and the Sage Indicator Taper for single hand. I also have the Elixer line for my beulah spey and I love it. It just depends on your preference. The tonic lines will cast anything easily. Bruce Berry was telling me about his bank to bank spey casts on the rogue with the 6wt spey and a 5 in. intruder! I really recommend either one of the lines!
    jed

4. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

The new series of switch rods that Bob Meiser, Mike Kinney & TFO are working on are 11'. They should be available soon. Like I mentioned before, I've got the 11'7" Highlander, which I love. I'm planning on picking up the 9/10 of the new series for one of my winter sticks. Might be worth waiting for the new rods... Built rods will be available through them or through Bob.

5. wolverine

wolverine Member

I just ordered the Beulah 5/6 switch and the Elixer line. I've had the 7/8 for a year for beach fishing using intermediate & full sink Outbounds. I really like the rod but for me a shorter head than the Outbound has may work better. Am still recovering from my 2nd rotator cuff surgery so I'm going to 2 handers to take the pressure off.

6. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    :rofl: I would PM KEM, i think he has one or has a friend who has one.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Gary,
    It's a bitch getting old, isn't it? ;) Good luck on your recovery. Two and a half months and it will be go time for the beaches.
    Brian

8. KEM

KEM Member

OK, back to the question. Ohhh ok! Has anyone casts to the Beulah Elixer line on the Winston BIIX? Luke and I both have switch rods and they are the sh!t for sure, great rods. Joe, you should get a second job and pick one up. Buccolla, you should kiss my ass! Really though Stevesie, I would get the Beulah/Winston. Luke is almost casting as far as me, but it may take a while for him though to catch up.

9. longstick

longstick Member

Z axis are sick rods,
    Fun for spey in tight courter, single hand a 100+ feet with no effort:thumb:

10. backcast

backcast Born To Flyfish

I live in center of Ohio & fish small to med size stream/rivers.... In your opinion what would you prefer for fishing these conditions with fish from 8" to 20" size.... I was little concerned when my new Beulah switch rod came and I waved it around.... it seemed a little softer than I anticipated...Im wondering if I shouldn't have bought the 6/7 instead.
    But I didn't want overpower the fish..... Anybody can jump in on this as all feedback would be appreciated....

11. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

The 5/6 would be plenty; the 6/7 would be overkill for 8-20" fish.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Stay tuned for the Loop Opti switches that should be out in the next month or so: 11 ft 5/6 and 11 ft 7/8. I messed around with the 11 7/8 proto a couple weeks ago..... very nice!

In regards to Tuna's statement that a 6/7 wt. being over-kill on medium to large sized trouties: I would agree in concept, but in actuality the 7/8, yes, 7/8, is more applicable in most conditions. The key is that the heavier rod (7/8) is light in hand-- like in the case of the new Opti. I decided to go with the 7/8 over the 5/6 because it has enough backbone to throw a short Skagit head with a tip. If the rod is light enough in hand, you can feel the fish very well. If I were to drop to the 5/6 because I believed in concept that the heavier wt. rod was over-kill, I'd lose the ability to double spey heads with tips a great deal. I guess what I'm saying with these switches is, you don't have to take the weight indication as literally as you would with a single hander or 14 footer. See how it feels in your hand, cast it with some heads and tips, take into consideration its application based on where and what you fish, and go from there. Don't make your decision mainly based on the wt.

13. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

I just got a Beulah 5/6 switch and have plans to give it a go tomorrow from a drift boat on the Yakima. From my test casting I expect to be pleased. We'll see.

14. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Great sticks, all of em. I love the Beulah switches. The 5/6 is my go to stick these days for the beach, rivers and throwing full sinking lines and streamers on lakes.

15. airbornemike

airbornemike New Member

I'm a complete newbie with regards to two handed casting so that being said the Beulah 8/9 switch I've been fishing for the past month or so has completely converted me. It really works great for what I use it for, I'm using there Elixer line with Rio Veratips in various lengths.

Unfortunantly I blew it up fourth time out wrestling Lake Michigan bones, James had a rod to me in five days, kudos to beulah for answering all my silly ass questions as well.