Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thoughts on killing the record steelhead, fallout and ruminations:

14K views 123 replies 62 participants last post by  Salmo_g 
#1 ·
The Sadness of Man, or Why We Will End Ourselves

The man who didn't understand anything killed it. He killed it until it was a symbol of the species with sadness and endings or nothing. We are smart in ways to win, and it will end us. And it was a symbol of the wrong reason to do something. Harvesting a wild steelhead, even legally, is a morally disgusting thing. Taking the fish for glory and shallow pride is rotten. And lying as a cop-out is a bloody, festering thing.

You're fish, Peter Harrison, was a steelhead. It was a wild and clean archetype of the steelhead, brawling with disarming beauty. It carried more environmental significance than you do, considering all species equal, your fish was several thousand times more significant than you. Your choice to harvest the fish makes you a hated man whose generation ought to have past with the extinction of California's beautiful rivers. Jim Kerr should have drowned you on your free cross-river boat-ride. He an accepting man and if others had seen you, it would have been a different type of free trip.

And this is why we are pulling our needs out from under us. Humans are good at taking something until they can't take anymore and must then take something else. It's the greed gene. Maybe its nature's way of letting a species destroy itself in a systematic way. Peter, you have saddened fisherman. Your decision to harvest a world record wild steelhead, for only the purpose of misguided immortalization was wrong. We, the fisherman, pray together on rivers and oceans and in the cold and rain of the west that you are left empty. May every cent you garner from your catch bring you self-destruction, malady and guilt. The guilt that flows fast and freely through your veins. The inescapable type of guilt that obscures the taste of your food and makes you change positions on the couch until you resign yourself to being uncomfortable. May you remember how the fish looked after it was dead, the beautiful eye. The eye of golds, and greens with and blackness deep like every ending put together to make true black.

We are left with only the realization that nothing can bring the fish back, but ask you to please leave now. The program is nearly ruined, and you are worsening it.

The Joker king holds his greed.

See less See more
#72 ·
If you go to IRAQ, you can beat the hell out of your wife, Cuz it's legal. I think some of those guys on the OP should go live in IRAQ, so they can take advantage of that law as well.

#76 ·
Cheese-n-Rice people.... give it a break! If the man said it was bleeding and would have died then take him at his word, you weren't there. I think I would have done the same.
Doing so just insures that it happens again, as we've already pointed out. The next time someone has this happen, I want them to think seriously about all the "E-Thugs" who said nasty things online as they look around at the other anglers, and seriously regard whether keeping that fish is worth it. I also want our politicians to see the amount of contention this single event has caused so the next time conservation lobbies have a "win", the mayor of a fucking town of 3000 people doesn't completely ruin that win and burn our notion of representative democracy.

Don't you people have anything better to do with your time??
Not at the moment. No, not really.

#78 ·
Thats fine "flyborg." If you're that concerned, then get involved with politics, that is the only way to affect change. Sitting on the sidelines spending your time on this board will get nothing done.

And... by the way, why don't people here have there real names listed and not some silly handle. Maybe then there would be some sort of accountability. I think our astute web master suggested that some time ago.

#80 ·
Thats fine "flyborg." If you're that concerned, then get involved with politics, that is the only way to affect change. Sitting on the sidelines spending your time on this board will get nothing done.
I lend my voice and money to several conservation and water rights issues. However, playing the politics game isn't the only necessary solution; as I pointed out, representational democracy is extremely flimsy when a mayor speaking for 3,000 people can overturn the voice of multitudes more. As you said, sitting on the sidelines does nothing. This board is the #1 fly fishing board on the internet, however, so I'd hardly say that spending time here arguing important issues gets "nothing done". It's a community, and a community with a significant reach; sitting on the sidelines here telling people to STFU is what gets nothing done.

#79 ·
Man there are much bigger problems facing our wild steelhead than wether a world record fish was released or not.

Would this sites angry lynch mob go hunt down a bear or otter or orca for killing a fish like that? its obvious to me that the Hoh is an extremely productive river as it can sustain harvest of wild fish, not many steelhead streams in the country can boast that, our collective energy needs to be keeping the Hoh as productive as it is by protecting the habitat, and if a world record fish coming from it convinces others that it is a place worth protecting then maybe the death of that particular fish isn't so bad.

#83 ·
lets just say that the fish was actually gill hooked and was deemed to be dead shortly after release. Pretty much any one here is going to keep a fish that is bleeding from the gills, but I think it is the bigger picture that isnt even being brought up hardly at all. This man, fish a two handed rod just like most people here do, successfully hooked a giant wild steelhead and landed it.
Another dream of everyone here. Except he hooked it in a sensitive place in a certain way that will happen eventually if you hook enough fish. And the fish is now dead, whether because he was hooked in the gills or the angler bonked it. The point is, that fish would have reproduced and created potentially more giant steelhead if that fisherman wasnt fishing at all.
If the number of wild steelhead is so low that an internet hate-a-thon has exploded, then they should not be fished for in questioned waters. Simple as that, and when the populations rebound everyone will be there to angle for them. Which if that was to happen, would be one of the greatest conservation-sportsman successes if not the greatest.
We all know how genetically superior wild steel are, and how they are some of natures finest and most pure specimens.
So why not give them 10 years to see what a small, depressed run of native steelhead can do when they are unpressured totally. I believe they are fully capable of rebuilding their popluations but not when there are gill nets greeting them. Then if they get by those they have to resist beautiful, bright colored, fluffy flies and jigs. there is some serious action to be taken here both by the anglers on the rivers as well as the current regs being adjusted.
The other problem is hatchery fish, they need to be removed and that is where anglers can help and most already are. It seems some type of regulation where hatchery fish must be taken whether or not that was the intention. That paired with closures in places where runs are least stable during prime spawning months, and setting the bar with the "if wild fish are caught, they must remain in water at all times and released promtly."
A big thing would be to go barbless, as that can really make a difference in fish that get hooked in the tongue or other sensitive areas.
The amount of internet press for this fish is impressive, and it is simply overwhelming unless you sit at a computer all day. If you look at it like Jerry Jones, any press is good press.
on that note, all anadromous fish are hurting, and they are the number one trace element distributer in the world. Meaning they are liely responsible for many of the beings and animals on dry land. losing them could in way be good, and that seems like that could throw off some serious shit in the longrun.

#84 ·
This is a fucking joke. Zen, beat the dead horse until it shits digested hay all over you. Worse yet, make a shitty essay about it. Why doesn't everyone bitch at the guys who take numerous wild steelies from OP streams every year without writing them in on their cards? Because as much as everyone likes to pretend it doesn't happen, it does. While the guy has some serious ethics issues, it still doesn't bring that or ANY wild fish back by publicly bitching at how much of an ass he is in a poetic manner. Why does this case get so much attention? It was a buck steelhead, think about how much worse it would have been if it were a hen over twenty pounds. That would have been astronomically worse for the run. There's still plenty of steelhead jizz in the Hoh.

#86 ·
I'm sitting on the crapper...and reading this. When I'm done I'm going to flush them both away and hope when I open my eyes that there will be something less abrasive to read. Three threads and some 350+ posts later it still smolders hot as hell. Plop...time to...

#89 ·
I agree, it did bring about awareness. But for me, it also brought to my attention the lengths people are willing to go to blast a guy who was following the law. What a chicken shit thing to do, slam a guy who caught a fish. Really, contact someone who can make a difference. Don't give 25 bucks to a conservation group and call yourself a conservationist. Fuck, anyone could do that. Makes me wonder how perfect these people have been in there own lives, regarding fishing. Or even in other areas of their life? I highly doubt they are the saints they think they are. Let's just keep it real. We are all imperfect, period. The guy did what he thought was right. Where I sit remains the same, if I catch a fish and it's legal (and I want to keep it), then I will. No doubt I realize now, that there is always someone that's going to argue that. Oh well.
BTW, I once, coming up from Cali., caught a hatchery fish, and let it go! HA!~
Cheers,
Frank.
And Zen, I got no beef with Chew. I respectfully see you started this thread to bring up the issue again, good job.

#91 ·
I agree that the fish should have been released, theres a 99.99% that I would have released it too, but until I land a 30lb steelhead I couldnt say as Ive never done it and probley never will. As for the guy killing it, I think it was wrong but Im not gonna sit here and bash him through my computer screen as what he did was completely legal and was a personal choice. Ive read and learned much from a lot of good rebutles from some who can explain their logic through facts and/or science but Ive also read some assclown type posts. I have no comment on the essay except for I cant believe I even wasted my time reading it.

Jake

#95 ·
Just curious, what makes this guys 1 huge steelhead being killed any worse than the 5 or 6 natives I saw killed on the hoh within about 4 hours recently.

Honestly I feel the 12 - 20 lb'ers are just as significant as the one 30lb'er but this one fish seems to be worthy of a memorial whereas the guys slaying the smaller fish are not given any grief.

It actually seems the smaller fish would be healthier and more apt to produce healthy fish.

To me, at least the 30lb'er was a once in a lifetime catch (and from what I have read was the only native fish to be killed by this angler in 10+ years) and possible world record.

My curiosity is true and I am just trying to understand some of the logic here.

#96 ·
Just curious, what makes this guys 1 huge steelhead being killed any worse than the 5 or 6 natives I saw killed on the hoh within about 4 hours recently.

Honestly I feel the 12 - 20 lb'ers are just as significant as the one 30lb'er but this one fish seems to be worthy of a memorial whereas the guys slaying the smaller fish are not given any grief.

It actually seems the smaller fish would be healthier and more apt to produce healthy fish.

To me, at least the 30lb'er was a once in a lifetime catch (and from what I have read was the only native fish to be killed by this angler in 10+ years) and possible world record.

My curiosity is true and I am just trying to understand some of the logic here.
It's not any more significant.

Look at it this way. Every week, people go missing in the US. Occasionally, a hot white female goes missing, and suddenly it's a media sensation. Years go by, the media continues to drag the drama out, and eventually some legislator utilizes the media furor to pass some law that helps all those other missing people.

Without the sensationalism its just noise. We've latched onto this poor dude because he's made it easier for us to do so. If the details would have remained obscure like the four you saw today, this would have died weeks ago.

Right or wrong, it's a means to an end. Some people aren't willing to sacrifice their perceived principals to shout about a guy who's done nothing different than countless people do every day. Others are more willing to make amends for a perceived greater good. It's a simple question with a difficult answer; does the end justify the means?

#100 ·
I have an extremely hard time believing that the fish was bleeding from the gills if it was hooked in the mouth. Also, has any serious steelfacer here ever fought a steelhead for over 45 minutes?

Bottom line: this fish should not have been killed, regardless of where it was caught. It is unfortunate that people do not realize the importance of carefully releasing wild fish. While the fish is dead, learning from this incident can continue, which is why people are so worked up. This is an important issue and the horrible bonking of this fish will hopefully be the turning point in wild steelhead management on these OP rivers.

It is the responsibility of every angler to know the regulations of the rivers he/she fishes. It is just as important in my opinion to know the significance and issues surrounding the fish one targets. This "conservationist" should have known the dire situation surrounding wild steelhead. The fact that he is labeled as a "conservationist" is a disgrace to all people who work/live in ways that support conservation.

#101 ·
I'll say my last words on the Hoh fish and our British "chap". He should have released it and his story is "fishy" at best. In fact he knew he had screwed up and that is why he immediately went to his bullshit story. He should have just told us to kiss his ass and to bitch to the state who makes the act legal. We have our moral views, but he broke no laws. But if we like it our not, it was and is a LEGAL catch and keep. That is due to the complete idiots we have in Fish and Game. Now I am sure the finger pointing will keep going but that is the reality of things. I can hit up the OP any time I want and hook, land, and kill not only wild fish, but damn native fish. And if I get a fish to the car without signing off the catch card, I can pretend it never happened and go get another one the next day. Which of course none of our steelhead killing brethren ever do!!!:rolleyes: This is another indictment of the state of Washington's fisheries and policies nothing more. Sad in many ways but another shit stain on their underwear. Coach

#102 ·
After reading some of the absolutly astounding rhetoric about that fish and the gentleman who caught it, from two posters in particular, I would have to say that the parents of a couple of you guys should have practiced better birth control.

#105 ·
Why skirt the edges big man? Tell the two posters straight up that the world would have been better off if they had not been born and that their parents were complete idiots for having children. And then act shocked when they tell you to go fuck yourself as you take the "high ground" and "humph" loudly and roll your eyes with your legs crossed. Passive aggressive is chickenshit nothing more nothing less. And thanks for the positive contribution to the thread. That irony was not lost on me either. Coach

#103 ·
I think he knew what he was doing when he bonked that fish. I think he wanted to release it but realized what a frenzy his keeping it would cause. Thus as Flyborg mentioned giving the plight of Wild Steelhead everywhere more vigor and the much needed attention it deserves. This man should obviously be commended for his actions. What a completely selfless act in order to preserve the species, even in the face of knowing what it would net him. A modern day Judas. I bet that fish spoke to him.

Ira..

G
#110 ·
“Our judgments judge us, and nothing reveals us, exposes our weaknesses, more ingeniously than the attitude of pronouncing upon our fellows” Paul Valery

Clearly this is a regrettable incident, however I suspect what is significantly more regrettable are the searing, uninformed judgments heaped upon this man for an act likely duplicated by many on this board who hopefully will never find themselves in this situation.

Coach, with the utmost respect, I am especially surprised by your comments given your life experience. I would venture to guess you have seen men, good men, caught in a tempest over acts that were perceived as unrighteous by people that had absolutely no understanding of the facts on the ground.

#113 ·
"Soul, that's a religious thing. State... church... it's unconstitutional for the United States to have a soul." - Denny Crane

"How can you ban red meat? ..... We're carnivores. When the pilgrims landed, first thing they did was eat a few Indians." - Denny Crane

"It's fun being me" (after thoughtful pause) "Is it fun being you?" - Denny Crane

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.