Thoughts/Opinions on a multi-head shooter for a Redinton CPX 7wt Switch.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jordan Simpson, Jun 5, 2011.

1. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

I guess you missed the point of my post...I was actually poking fun at you about your comment "the head with out running line attached".

Anyway, quit helping this poor guy. You have so far passed along more misinformation and confusion than anything. Now you have poor Jordan side tracked on tenkara... Not trying to be a jerk, just figured tact would be misunderstood and the point lost.

James.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I can't wait to fish with James Waggoner,but he's got to crack jokes all day long.

Sea run, get you some heads, attach some mono or other running line and give it a whirl. Have a blast.

3. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Thanks Mumbles. I think that will be the plan! Trying to get geared up for coho and pinks as soon as I can here!

4. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Well I can't wait to fish with Ed Call, but he's got to put me into some sea runs and pinks all day long.

5. ten80

ten80 Active Member

James- feel free to correct me if I post false info, but don't call me out if I try to respond in kind to your jibe. I doubt the tenkara reference led Jordan astray.

FYI, I found that the Rio switch 6/7 line works well with 10ft poly leaders for swinging or nymphing on this rod for rivers. A good compromise between roll, overhead, and spey casting ability.

6. ten80

ten80 Active Member

sorry, double posted.

7. Jordan Simpson

No worries to everyone- I'm only focusing on the positive side of things here (being a member of about six different message boards sorta trains you for it...).

The Tenkara video I was talking about I found while researching that style of fishing- we did a bit of it in Hawai'i in the canals for baby barracuda- total blast!

As for line selection/set up, I think I will go with a mono running line and then slowly build up a variet of heads. This, as far as I can tell, will be the least costly for me.

8. Ed Call

Good luck with that magic trick. I'm up for trying. I don't live on the prime pink side of the Puget Sound but I know a few places that they have been known to pass by.

9. Jordan Simpson

So I went in to my fly shop and was looking t the different line set ups that you guys had all suggested. I was looking at the Rio mono running line and had this question- can you strip it safely or is it going to nest up t your feet? It looked cool but I was concerned about the tangle factor. I was also looking at the Rio Outbound Short in either the clear intermediate shooting head, or maybe going full floater and then use a poly if I needed to. I am leaning more towards the Rio OB Short because it is integrated...thoughts?

10. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

I think you're over thinking this man. I bet the Rio mono line you were looking at was the slickshooter right? I use it because it's cheap and durable and shoots very well. It comes in either a 35lb or 50lb and I personally use the 50lb as it's easier to hold onto. As with any mono line you/ll need to stretch it out once in a while, but that is as easy as tying your shoes.

The only thing to keep in mind is that mono running lines don't really mend for shit in the river.

In regards to those shooting heads, talk your shop into letting you test cast them, to find a length and taper that you dig, if possible.

In regards to sinking line, unless your beach has a 10' plus deep hole that youre trying to dredge through, a floating line will work a treat. You can always tie a pattern with extra weight, or again have your shop make you a short tip out of T-14 (Should cost you around .60-.80 cents a foot U.S. plus an assembly fee, all tips I've had made were less than $10 each)

11. Jordan Simpson

I'll be really only fly fishing the beaches for coho, so mending isn't too much of a factor- where I fish it's usually just casting and stripping.
    I was thinking of a floating head more, because I could always tie a weighted pattern, or use a sinking poly leader or T-14 tip.
    I just wasn't too sure what the mono is like for stripping in, or how it feels when hauling during a cast...

12. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Which line was your primary with the single hander? Might be the direction to lean.

I like the integrated heads, allows longer retrieves without incoming or outgoing interference. Outbound, Outbound Short, or Airflo 40+ in float/15' intermediate tip or straight intermediate will cover 85%+ beach casting. Add 5' - 10' sinking poly for troughs. The intermediates drop below breakers rolling in.. something a floater lacks and can be bossed by them.

Later in the game pick up one spare spool and load it with whatever satellite line tickles your fancy.

Just my personal prefs.. others mileage may vary. Best of luck.

B

13. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Nuts on in my opinion.
    These types of rods may say switch but you still need to decide if you are overhand casting or spey casting to choose line and have it perform the task. Being you are salt fishing probably overhand, correct?
    I run the outbounds on switch rods when I want them to perform like a single hand rod. They will handle light tips good enough too. That rod will do well with a 425 grain.

My question to you is why the switch if your salt fishing, extra distance? because accuracy will be less the longer you go. If its just for distance then go with the shooting head style just be sure its around 425 grains.

14. Jordan Simpson

I am hoping to find a line that can overhead as well as swtich. Fine line, i know, but if one exists, thats what I'm hoping for. I usually overhead, but with weighted flies, wind and what not, I'd prefer to not get hit in the head with a clouser, as well, the beach I fish with sometimes gets a bit of foot traffic and I'd like to be able to still make long casts without having to have that length flying behind me where people might be walking- hence the reason I'm hoping to learn how to switch.

I just contacted my guy in Hawai'i who lent me his set up out there, and it was a Beulah 8/9, matched with the Beulach Elixir. Probably not transferable to our westcoast...

15. Ed Call

I have an Elixir switch line for one of my switch rods. It does two handed nicely with delicate (for me) presentation and overheads okay. I prefer the airflo 40+ for two handed overhead work off the beach, and this line also does two handed casting well. You have options, you just need to get a few together, loaners perhaps, and try them out. For me personally, and this is just me because I'm not very talented, I like to be at the lower third of the grain window for two handed overhead work, middle third for scandi type two handed casting and upper third for skagit delivery methods.