Thread Quality

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Rumor has it we may also lose Benecchi thread.

Tim, I think the "bad batch" theory may be what I'm dealing with the Veevus thread that was breaking on me. I'll see if it continues and if so, I'll contact the supplier for a replacement. If Benecchi goes under, I'll probably switch to Veevus... they are very similar threads.

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Veevus 12/0 is the shit. I bought 3 spools and it's in the "where have you been all my life" category now. It is strong, small and flattens out/untwists easy. Frays less than 8/0 Danville, and has comparabe strength so it's been proving to be way more durable to use with my ape like fingers.

I will still use Uni and Danville flymaster (because I own plenty of both), but if all my favorite fluorescent colors show up (I think 10/0 has more colors), it will be Veevus from here on out.

3. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Well I do use good quality bobbins. Dr. Slick ceramic for thread and the larger one for floss? Those are good right? I bought a set of bobbins off eBay, they blew so bad it was rediculous. The ceramic portion looked like it had corrosion inside all the way down. Every single one broke and freyed my thread first wrap. Never again! I'm gonna check out this veevus stuff. I'm glad the thread size to fly size came up because I'm always wondering what size I should use. I just figure its the smallest I can get away with without compromising the flies strength.

4. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Tim, watch ebay. Last year I bought a bag of Gudebrod, approximately 50 spools of 6/0, 8/0 and a few 3/0, black with a few orange, red and olive. It was about $40 and worth every penny to me. Gudebrod is fantastic.

Lagurtun is great too but it's very expensive and I think it only comes in white and black.

5. kingfisser

kingfisser New Member

....just bought a couple spools of Veevus 16/0 ...looking forward to give 'em a whip(wirl)

6. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Same here, I just got some Veevus 12/0 and it is awesome and durable, I like that I can "crank" it down and not worry.
    One question tho...can I use this 12/0 on more than just small flies and midges? I would be hella tempted to use it on all my SRC ties as well, it gives me so much more room to work. Any thoughts on this?
    How big is too big for 12/0.

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Eyejuggler, I've used 14/0 on steelhead and full dress salmon flies. Just takes lots of wraps to cover the hook shank, but the material tie in points are really small.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  8. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I have throw my 2c in here. I have been a bit disappointed in UNI. I've noticed inconsistencies from spool to spool and in different colors. I find weak points from time to time and notice that diameters seem to be different in certain colors. Could be where they are made. Some spools marked Canada, others China, Spain.
    I have changed to Griffiths Sheer and like it enough that I don't need to look at any other brands except maybe for the larger sizes. UNI doesn't flatten enough for me.
    Jack

9. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Thanks for all the comments guys. Ive learned quite a bit and have a better feel for what's on the market. Gotta love this forum. I appreciate everyone's time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Any of our sponsors carry Veevus

11. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Thanks Ron! Gonna keep playing with it. I love the stuff so far!

12. David Dalan

No problem with steelie flies. This one was tied with 12/0

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/no-name-blue-thing.85940/

Eyejuggler likes this.
  13. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. David Dalan

Your welcome. If my experience in animal carcass hoarding...err..."fly tying"...proves useful for more than filling dark corners of the "man cave" then that's cool. :p

Eyejuggler likes this.
  15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Hans is always splitting the tying thread for dubbing a pattern. I have a heck of a time spitting thread so I just bought some Marc Petitjean "Split Second Thread" that is designed specifically for splitting. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.

Nick Clayton and Jeff Dodd like this.