Throw bags

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by 4tortuga, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    True, but like I said, just excess baggage on my solo flat water trips. I usually have an anchor system rigged up. I've been trying to avoid carrying any excess gear, especially stuff that I never use. Sometimes I have to portage everything 100 yards. My anchor system is light enough, and always comes in handy.
    I might get a throw bag for river floats. I've thrown one before, and I agree it takes a few practice throws to get the hang of it.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    LOL. There are people who can't ever toss the things. And I know two who are damned good oarsman. They just have no coordination throwing things. You should've seen them try to toss a football on the banks. It was hilarious. Where the speargun joke came from actually.

3. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

4. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Like I said, if you can't use a throw bag you might want to re-think being a boater (whitewater that is). I don't care how well of an oars-man or paddler you are, if you can't do the saftey too, you aren't on my trip. Kind of like, you might be a real good rock climber on lead, but if you can't belay another climber, do you want them as a partner?
    :)

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Well, I should clarify, they could throw the bag, but wasn't pretty and not accurate. Where I could put it right where I aimed. And, having Larry around was well worth him being a shitty thrower (he was a military medic, could do field surgery). But agree, you need the basic skills when you're out there.

6. Ray

Ray Active Member

I use NRS throw bags. Thankfully, mostly I use them to tie up my boat or as a clothesline. My experience as a class IV whitewater guide has lead me to think that throw bags are probably most useful in a pin situation, rather than a swimmer situation. When I have a swimmer, I just go get them.

7. lastcall

lastcall Member

I picked up one of the Fox40's because of this thread. I got it and it looks good. Haven't tried it yet but it looks like it should do the trick.

Ed

8. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Thanks for the link Jesse. I picked up the Fox40 Water Safety Throw and a package of Tear Aid B for my Water Master from Sunny Sports for under $40 shipped.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

9. fastpitchpete

fastpitchpete Member

I use NRS throw bags as well