Tinsel help

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by gbeeman, Jan 24, 2013.

1. psycho

psycho Active Member

But it works.:D

2. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

It does work. I especially the purple one.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

+2 on wire. I use cheap brass wire from the fabric store. I use it as a gold rib on buggers, nymphs, etc. Anything that has delicate body material (floss, peacock herl, phesant tail fibers) or hackle wrapping the body. I use it as a counter wrap on most of my spey patters, if I don't use it for ribbing.

I've made some down right indestructible Egg Sucking Leeches this way...good stuff.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I also buy my wire from the fabric/craft shops. The colors and sizes are vast.

David Dalan likes this.
  5. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Fritos Scoops come in a plastic bag that is mirror chrome finished on the inside. One bag can be snipped up into a lifetime's supply of tinsel. For what it's worth.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Before colored wire became readily available, I'd tear apart inoperative automotive relays and scavenge the wire. I ended up with a lot of unique colors and sizes... some I've never found for sale.

Unfortunately, they don't install relays as they once did in autos because they now use blasted chips and computer boards . .. which contain no wire and are therefore worthless as tying material. I tried using a burned out computer chip once but it didn't work worth crap :)

Thom Collins likes this.
  7. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I tie lightning bugs a little different, using a grizzly collar and peacock thorax. They are my go-to nymph in smaller sizes.

Lightning bug.jpg

8. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I dunno...I bet a chip epoxied to a hook might work as well as a lot of the new patterns on magazine covers.

9. Truckeetroutbum

Truckeetroutbum New Member

I was thinking you meant lightning bug while reading over this, as I used to confuse the two myself... As someone else stated, super glue. I use brush on zap-a-gap. seems to be the strongest and easiest to use... I use it alot for that type of application. Its a good trick for making dry flys a little more durable without adding the weight of a wire rib aswell, especially with biot and quill bodies, that tend to break after a few fish. You could get away with just head cement im sure but I think super glue is the best...Also i dont remember if anyone stated this or not but counter-wrapping the tinsel and wire helps hold things together when it gets chewed on. Personally I wrap the tinsel opposite of the thread, and then wrap the wire rib the same way as the thread to insure it is tied off nice and tight.

Jackd likes this.