Tip top glue/epoxy

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by slow_floccer, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slow_floccer

slow_floccer New Member

Hi all,

Newbie question here. I have not ever built or repaired a rod, but I have a bent tiptop that looks like I should be able to replace myself. I contacted the rod manufacturer and they will send me the correct size tiptop for this rod model.

I understand that I should use a lighter to heat the existing tiptop, to soften the existing adhesive and pull it off. My questions for replacement:

Do I need to go to any effort to clean any remaining adhesive from the graphite? Or just leave it?

What do I use to affix the new tiptop? Is there a specific type of glue or epoxy for this application? I saw some youtube videos showing a stick that I would slice off and melt it into the tiptop.....what is this stuff?

Thanks!

2. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

The stick is hot glue....I prefer five minute epoxy. Clean off any residue and epoxy hasn't failed me yet.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  3. slow_floccer

slow_floccer New Member

I'm afraid of epoxy... It doesn't allow for do-overs. The hot glue does, right?
    So it looks like I'm just raiding my wife's craft cabinet for the hot glue gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Man up! Don't be afraid of epoxy, you can use a lighter to remove....just do it right the first time! ;)

Bob Triggs likes this.
  5. Bonsai

Bonsai Jerry

There may be different types of hot glue. I am not sure I would use your wife's "craft" quality hot glue. The hot glue I
    use I used to hold arrow heads on wood shaft arrows when I was into archery. Think about the stress arrows are under.
    I have also used epoxy with no problems. It is much easier to use than hot glue. Like Steve, I have never had it fail.