Tippet Rings...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ron McNeal, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Guys who do a lot of nymphing and I don't, often attach tungsten putty, split shot, and other materials to their leaders to get down in the water column. We all know that, so carrying some of the conversations a bit further, those who do would then be violationg the fly fishing only regulations. Further, one of the newest "gadgets" for spey fishermen is a swivel attached between two pre-made loops and designed to keep the line from twisting. I suppose they also would be a violation.:rolleyes:

2. garthman

garthman Member

While I agree knots work for a leader to tippet transition, there is one application where a tippet ring really sings.

If one fishes poly leaders on their two handed scandi rigs, you'll end up chewing through the uncoated end of your poly leaders if you change out your tippet very often. The tippet ring gives you a solid end to the poly leadesr so you can change out your tippet as needed without replacing the poly leaders.

3. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I really like the concept...it seems I always run out of tippet about the time the fish really start biting, my hands are cold, and it's the last thing I want to be dicking around with at the moment. Anything that preserves leader would be excellent because the leader to line attachment Is one thing I prepare carefully at home...with a perfect nail knot and a nice smooth coating of pliobond.
    I hate attaching leaders to welded line loops (the first thing I do with a new line is cut the f@€#%ing loop off)....in the middle of an elegant system you've got this sloppy contraption that looks like it would better serve tying a boat to a dock. A tippet ring could help me preserve the sanctity of a beautifully prepared nail knot...one that turns that leader over like it's natural continuation of the flyline. I'm gonna get me some rings.

4. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Jeez, Old Man, a 'leader straightener'...you're a gadget junky in denial...surely ya got gnarly ol fingers like mine that work perfectly well takin the curl outta leaders?

5. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Geez....I thought this thread was going to be about piercings and how to put a ring on your privates!!

Steve Call and Krusty like this.
  6. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I bet Old Man takes a very dim view of such things!

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I can't imagine getting ticketed for using one of these, and believe it would be thrown out of court when you float one in a glass of water. Wildlife officers have to know that. I don't use them but have, and may again sometime. Tiny tiny tiny...

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

If you want to pierce your body, well go on ahead. I could care less. I'm just not into Tattoo's and earrings. You can do it, but I won't.

Olive bugger likes this.
  9. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I'm sure that Montana's body modification practitioners are now breathing a sincere sigh of relief.

10. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Only resurrecting this old thread because I did acquire some tippet rings..and love them. Changing tippets in any kind of conditions is as fast and easy as changing flies....and you don't continuously use up the butt of your tapered leader.

I got some that were already threaded onto a swivel, and others loose in little zip lock bags....which I threaded onto swivels. Believe me, you need these things on a safety pin or swivel (that leaves enough space in the ring lumen) so you can thread the butt of the leader and knot it down on the ring.

I think it would be pretty hard for an enforcement officer to construe one of these things as a 'weight'. Hell, they won't even sink a dryfly.

I probably now have a lifetime supply of tippet rings (that's mostly due to the fact that I'm an old fart not that far from taking a long dirt nap).

Ron McNeal and Eyejuggler like this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I haven't tried them, but am considering doing so . . . saves main leader length when replacing tippets & might be easier for my old eyes to see; sometimes threading thru the center of a blood knot can take some time for this old geezer.

12. Cti111

Cti111 Member

In addition to the advantages already listed - it is really easy to tie a side dropper or a 2nd dry fly off the tippet ring & keeps both flies floating free of each other (both dries & nymphs) vs having to tie off the end or eye of a hook. The only downside is cost & that some are so tiny that it's like tying on a size 20 or smaller fly...

fredaevans likes this.
  13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Not to worry they are legal in 'fly only water.' Reason being they're so light they actually float. No weight added. Normal size that's used in fresh water fishing is the 2mm and it's really tiny. I know you can get a 3mm but I've yet to see one in use.

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Not really. Once you put the TR on the end of your regular leader (Furled or otherwise) it stays put. The only thing that gets changed out is your added tippet beyond that point. And that's one of the advantages of the things is your main leader stays the same length even if you change tippet material.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I just might have to invest in some of these things. It might make it easier to tie up a two fly set up.

What do you all recommend for some old eyes. The round ones or the oval ones.