Tippets on Spey Lines

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by pdavis327, Oct 27, 2011.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Not to worry,:thumb: I knew what you were suggesting.
    Fred

2. pdavis327

pdavis327 New Member

Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately, I've become a bit confused again. Sorry for my newness to this spey world. For these new skandi short versitips, unlike other lines, the overall line length (head and tip) is only 33 ft. w/ the 10 foot tip. So what I had gathered earlier, is that to the end of this tip I would attach a full leader, say a 9 foot 1x RIO leader. Is this the direction I would go? Later in the post it seems like i should just attach a few feet of mono to the end, acting more like a tippet. The floating tip it came with is like a straw fly line color, so I don't know how I would feel with only 5 feet mono coming off as a tippet

It appears to me that these tips wouldn't act like leaders, but more like extensions of the fly line. Unlike the AFS, this head isn't long tapered, which I thought was like a tip in its own.

I think i am confusing myself more and more. haha

Again, thanks for all the help. I hope to be dialing this all in soon! :thumb:

3. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    On the sink tips- 4 ft of mono and fly

On the floating tip- 9' - 12' tapered mono leader and fly...

...or 10' floating polyleader and a few feet of straight mono tippet and fly.

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Hey Pdavis, I just looked at the specs for that line.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/scandinavian/scandi-short-versitip

I was surprised to see that the tips total the line to be at 33ft. With that small of a head, I would definately put on at least a 10' poly leader to get the total length out to 43' for both sink and floating tips. I would also like to cast one, as I would assume that the last 10ft of the line on the sink tip would,... well sink,... and cause some issues forming the d-loop. Anyone cast the versitip?

5. aaronk

aaronk Member

I'm new to the spey world as well, but in my research here's what I've gathered.

• If you're using a polyleader/versileader you do not need to attached a conventional tapered leader. I've looped the end of my versileaders so I can just loop to loop a section of straight mono.
    • If you're not using a polyleader/versileader attached a regular tapered leader.

My AFS came with what looks like tips, but were actually versileaders. I was confused at first and thought they were tips, so I thought I needed to add a regular tapered leader to them. This was not the case.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

"I do not think if you put on a 9' leader straight to the end of a skandi short line it would cast worth a crap."

Beg to differ here. 9' works just fine .... it's when you push beyond that with a short(er) rod you'll find the leader will 'hinge like hell' when casting same. A caviot (sp?) to that would be a two fly set up, but that will only add another couple of feet. Thing to keep in context here is we're talking about fishing 'moving water,' not still water; there ... longer may well be better.

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Maybe for some, but I would think it would be too short at 31-33ft plus leader. Its not even three times the rod length, more like 2.5 times the lenght. I would be ripping my anchors out left and right.

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Ahhhhhh. Grant one point here ...... with shorter leaders you realllllllly do have to slow down your cast set up. Which actually a very good thing.:thumb: The typical rod I'm using (summer work) will be as short as 11' (a custom retro fiber glass) to 12'9" (ACR and Meizer) (3, 5 and 6 wts). All the lines are custom cut by Steve Gotshall down here in Medford. The heads on each are 31 to 34 foot, 280 grains for the 3wt and 420 for the 6. (Can't remember the grain number for the 5wt.)

fae

9. pdavis327

pdavis327 New Member

Thanks for all the great information. My rod is a switch 11 foot, so that line will come in a 3x the rod length exactly with the tip included. Part of the reason I chose that rod. I'm hoping my reel comes today (already 3 days late USPS Priority!) if so, i'll be out and let you all know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the help

10. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    You would put on a 10' polyleader on a sinktip? Thats one I havent tried.

I think it would cast basically like any lighter 23' skagit head, or cut back Scandi shooting head, with a sinktip or floater eg. a Skandit.

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

NOrmally I would not, but this line's "tips" have a 7ft level line then 3ft of taper. On that line I would probably just keep the floating tip on and then put on different poly leader tips on it.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Have a couple of RIO's AFS hsooting heads (boxes) in my office. The 520 grain 8/9 has a head of 38 feet, the 7/8 is a foot shorter at 460 grains. The 7/8 'Switch' has a head of 45 feet PLUS a back taper of 15. Without looking I'll assume the 'grains' are similar.

13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Fred, do you have any of the scandi versitip lines like the one we are discussing here? All I believe are 31ft heads, 10 of wich is the tip.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/scandinavian/scandi-short-versitip.

14. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I have recently been fishing the Scandi Short Versitip on an 11' switch rod. With sink tips, whether intermediate, type 3, type 6 or whatever else you may decide to throw on there, you generally want about 3 - 4 feet of level mono from the end of the tip. This is a good rule of thumb for any sort of sink tip set up regardless of the line or whether a single, spey or switch rod. The basic idea is that if you use a sink tip line, you want to keep the leader on the short end to keep the fly down. Unless you are fishing a weighted fly, a long leader off a sink tip defeats the purpose of fishing a sinktip. Also, casting sink tips with long leaders is a serious pain in the ass. Not sure how you set up your tips, but I nailknot about a 12" piece of 30 lb. mono to the end of each tip and tie a perfection loop at the end of that butt section. Then I connect the leader (for sink tips, 2 1/2 - 3' of level mono, 8 or 10 lb depending on water conditions). When I fish the floating tip with the Scandi Short Versitip, I have been using a 10' tapered leader (so with the 12" butt section I've tied to the end of the tip, it works out to about 11' from the end of the floatin tip in total). Works pretty well thought I may tinker with adding a foot or two of tippet to the end of the tapered leader (for 12-13' total) to see how that works. One think I am learning is that these lines are so short that you have to keep your strokes very compact.

15. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Yeah, it seems that line was designed and is ideal for the shorter switch rods.