Tipping Point

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by miyawaki, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Correct - I have talked with the Bio for the Skagit a number of times and they almost already have a natural gene bank in that system - soon the Sauk will be categorized as a natural gene bank for Puget Sound.

2. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Chris,

"Correct - I have talked with the Bio for the Skagit a number of times and they almost already have a natural gene bank in that system - soon the Sauk will be categorized as a natural gene bank for Puget Sound. "

Then by all means....let 'em be.
    There's no need to "harass" 'em (I mean fish over 'em)
    Let the PS "heal itself" in its entirety - that is the GOAL - and I'd say we are a long ways off from achieving it.

Don Freeman and freestoneangler like this.
  3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Out of respect for Chris and what Occupy Skagit is about I have edited my post.

David Dalan likes this.
  4. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Active Member

I do understand where you're coming from (giving the fish a total "time out" to recover free from any fishing pressure), but the reality is that keeping fishers involved--both with financial contributions in all its forms plus lobbying efforts as seen here--means keeping us on the water. When you lose the fishers you lose the incentive, the momentum, and a great deal of conservation muscle. Tell me how that benefits fish in the long run?

Would the fish be better off with no fishing pressure whatsoever? Perhaps in an absolute sense--and that's true of every fishery everywhere. No doubt fishing adds a layer of "harassment" as you say, and possible injury/mortality. But responsible C&R seems like a balanced win-win given the potential for keeping fishers engaged and active. It has always been hunters and fishers who have pushed for and funded responsible game management, and this is no different.

Access to the resource is the grease that keeps the money--and the protection--flowing. I think that's a far more realistic and positive scenario than your "let 'em alone" blue sky ideal.

jwg and PT like this.
  5. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Chris Bellows

Chris DeLeone said:
    FinLuver​
    I wanted to give you a quick history of the Skagit since the CnR closure in 2010.

psst... trolls don't care about facts.

I see you crawled out from under your rock...it is a nice day outside.
    BTW...did you ever decide if you were the pot or the kettle?

6. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Fin you and Bellows can have your little spat - keep my quotes and items I put in this thread out of it please - I like to stay on topic.

There is a philosophy that some anglers have - that if we keep off the water, let Puget Sound heal the fish will come back. I disagree with that, we are never going to see huge returns back to any of our rivers in many systems. When NMFS put out their report on Puget Sound - one aspect of the Steelheads decline was not the CnR fishery. Habitat and Marine Survival are the two major contributors to declining populations in Puget Sound. In 2009 we had 2500 fish back, we fished over that run, four years later we had 8600 fish return, we got good marine survival with the 2/2 salt component of the run, those fish doubled the forecast. So a responsible CnR fishery is not going to drive the fish to extinction.

jwg and flybill like this.
  7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

For those that think we should not have a C&R season on the Skagit we invite you to attend the Commissioners' meeting in Olympia on April 12 and present your objections for such a fishery to the commission. Put some action into your words. Otherwise you are just blowing so much hot air.

Chris, thank you for the ignore feature on this board.

constructeur, flybill and Pat Lat like this.
  8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I don't think finluver is a troll, I think he just likes to argue the same point over and over even though people are bringing scientific data that supercedes his opinion. I really don't even think he actually cares any more he just wants to argue and there's only one other person on this forum helping him out.

But what I really can't stand is how he cuts the code when he quotes someone. Just effin hit reply and leave it that already.

9. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Nice posts Dele and KerryS!!

constructeur likes this.
  10. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

PAT LAT...my REPLY feature DOES NOT WORK. So Much For Your EFF'IN Post!

Notice how I didn't copy n paste your BS ;)

11. PT

PT Physhicist

My reply feature doesn't work either so I have to cut n paste people's quotes. Luver's posts aren't worth either.

Chris Johnson and triploidjunkie like this.
  12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

hopefully everybody will mind thier manners at the event, this shit althou entertaining accomplishs nothing

13. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Well finluver maybe you should take the hint that your computer is giving you and stop replying then.

14. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
  15. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Chris DeLeone...

My apologies to you.

This comment, "Habitat and Marine Survival are the two major contributors to declining populations in Puget Sound.", is something I have been contending as well (here in Oregon), during the "hatchery" debates; yet when this is presented, it is vehemently rebuked.

Why do you suppose that is?