Tips on Tying Small Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

I really enjoy tying the small stuff dries down to a # 28 and the best advice has already been mentioned a few times, practice, it takes time and you'll cut up a bunch that don't just won't make the cut but after awhile you'll get the hang of it, the hardest thing I find is fishing them, it take some finess to set the hook on a #28 hook you really have to learn to use a soft setup just a gentle lifting of the rod or else often times you'll just pull the fly away never hooking the fish but then some times you get lucky and the fish hooks itself but I usually find myself missing the fish by getting over excited and do a # 16 hook set.
    tony

2. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Ultra 70 denier thread is MONEY! Something I do sometimes is to use some sandpaper or emery board on my finger tips. Any snags in your finger tips will kill you, so sand them off! I use some super magnifiers that are custom made for me in my dental practice and they are my back up pair. Makes small things look huge! Rick

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I like the 70 but also Sheer 14/0. And like I always say...."less is more"

4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Joni,

I'm with you on the Sheer 14/0 for small flies. Good strength and lays very flat or can be corded tight as you want.

REE

5. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Blue, WHY??? When I stocked up on hooks I checked them all out and I did go to size 18 . Nothing else was at all reasonable to try to use and fish too some I stopped at 16. On top of being too small it's just extra expence to me, and I don't need that. I do agree with using the smaller threads and any fine materials to help that is only smart or I would be stopping at 14 or 16 hooks. I know my dexterity is poor but with the hooks too small I would have to tie them on at home with my tying magnifyer and light and go back home eveery time I lost a fly to do it again. I Know it's the "challenge." Mine is just to be able to tie a while longer and to fish a little longer than that.. Happy fishin!!

6. J.Michelle Swope

J.Michelle Swope Yes, I said "bobi-cator"

Darryl Martin also has an excellent book "tying micro-flies", which has some great tips and suggestions.

7. Loopy

Loopy Member

Some of the guys over this part of the world, that tie the small stuff, split the Sheer 14/0 and use that as a tying thread!

Over 22 is a mission with me minces (mince pies - eyes) these days.

:beer1:

8. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Then tell them I have some UNI-Caenis 20 Den....LOL Thin stuff that there. Hair is thicker than this stuff.

9. Loopy

Loopy Member

Doubt that - well at least mine!

[​IMG]

:beer1:

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Laughing my ARSE off now!!!!

11. Wally Bear

Wally Bear New Member

This is sort of funny. I just got started in this and for me and my sausage fingers, a 12 is my limit as to how small I can get so far. I am thinking about tying steelhead and salmon only now. Maybe I will invest in saltwater gear. I love tying especially while I am down but I might have to reconsider chasing trout in little creeks with my hand tied stuff. lol

12. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Wallly bear some times that's the way it is but every now and then go back and try one or two small flies and you should start to find that some will be easier than they used to be.