to felt or not felt

I am looking at buying a new pair of boots. I fish the salt a lot, but want to expand into river/streams as well. so the question arises, felt bottoms or not? my last pair did not have studs, but my next will I know this.

I would go with just corkers last a lot longer than felt The legal issue on felt came up last year I believe Alaska was the first ot jump on the wagon for outlawing felts kinda surprised me but if the issue was the possible transportation of invasive species/bacteria than I can agree with it before all the trendy waders we have today came out us poor kids took normal waders and put aluminum scres in the soles - aluminum was used as it has the propensity to want to stick to what it touches smitty

Darryl Pahl

Late to the game, so never had felt. Simms guide boots vibram with star hardbite cleats is all I have used. I've been really happy with them, in particular climbing over slippery logs. I hike a lot in my boots as well - as a matter of fact my guide boots are the only hiking boots I have. Great for climbing on rocks on the trail.

Simms vibram guide boots without cleats is a disaster though.

Korkers are great and they're what I use for fishing rivers. I just bought a pair of cheap lug soled boots for fishing the beaches. If there's any mud on the beach you're going to be walking around with sole-less Korkers. I think having a pair of boots for river use and one for beaches in the way to go.

M

I'd say if you fish the salt more than the rivers, then studded or non-studded rubber is all you need. Barnacles tend to trash the felt, and felt is far more difficult to get all of the salt off of. Korkers are a nice option obviously because of the easy swap of soles. I find the Patagonia Ultralights are the most comfortable boot I have ever tried though.

High Flyin

I am looking at buying a new pair of boots. I fish the salt a lot, but want to expand into river/streams as well. so the question arises, felt bottoms or not? my last pair did not have studs, but my next will I know this.​
Good job. Better to ask than to just felt. Last time I assumed felt was ok, I got slapped.

David Loy

Senior Moment
SF, curious how felt holds up to beaches. Bare rocks & sand wouldn't be a problem but many prime beaches also have barnacles, etc. Thoughts? I bought some Marlwalkers years ago to fit over my Simms Guide booties, but oddly have never used them. I've always enjoyed fishing in hippers when I can get away with it. Usually I can so I keep a pair in the car.