to felt or not felt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

I am looking at buying a new pair of boots. I fish the salt a lot, but want to expand into river/streams as well. so the question arises, felt bottoms or not? my last pair did not have studs, but my next will I know this.

2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Korkers - google them. solves all your problems. Bout to get some myself. :D

astrofisher likes this.
  3. RussellB

RussellB New Member

Where I am from felt was forbidden, went with the Simms Rivershed boots with the studs. Great traction, I don't miss felt at all-

triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. sourdoughsmitty

sourdoughsmitty Member

I would go with just corkers last a lot longer than felt The legal issue on felt came up last year I believe Alaska was the first ot jump on the wagon for outlawing felts kinda surprised me but if the issue was the possible transportation of invasive species/bacteria than I can agree with it before all the trendy waders we have today came out us poor kids took normal waders and put aluminum scres in the soles - aluminum was used as it has the propensity to want to stick to what it touches smitty

5. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

Late to the game, so never had felt. Simms guide boots vibram with star hardbite cleats is all I have used. I've been really happy with them, in particular climbing over slippery logs. I hike a lot in my boots as well - as a matter of fact my guide boots are the only hiking boots I have. Great for climbing on rocks on the trail.

Simms vibram guide boots without cleats is a disaster though.

6. astrofisher

astrofisher Clear Skies

Home Page:
    My brother bought a pair and they seem to be working out well for him. He didn't get the studded felt originally, but after a couple of slips, he picked up the studded felt soles.

7. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

Corkers have worked out great for me. Both the felt and the rubber grip patterns have worked just fine.

8. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Korkers are great and they're what I use for fishing rivers. I just bought a pair of cheap lug soled boots for fishing the beaches. If there's any mud on the beach you're going to be walking around with sole-less Korkers. I think having a pair of boots for river use and one for beaches in the way to go.

M

9. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

I'd say if you fish the salt more than the rivers, then studded or non-studded rubber is all you need. Barnacles tend to trash the felt, and felt is far more difficult to get all of the salt off of. Korkers are a nice option obviously because of the easy swap of soles. I find the Patagonia Ultralights are the most comfortable boot I have ever tried though.

10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I used aluminum sheet metal screws last year for my new boots. Just like walking on the sidewalk. I only put in about 10 per shoe.

11. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

rubber lug soled hip waders in the salt. felt waders in rivers

12. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

I don't like korkers seem to fall apart real easy. I've had 3 pair and all didn't last more then a month.

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Felt for both salt and rivers. I fish a few beaches that have rocks that are nearly as slippery as rivers.
    SF

14. High Flyin

High Flyin Active Member

Good job. Better to ask than to just felt. Last time I assumed felt was ok, I got slapped.

15. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

SF, curious how felt holds up to beaches. Bare rocks & sand wouldn't be a problem but many prime beaches also have barnacles, etc. Thoughts? I bought some Marlwalkers years ago to fit over my Simms Guide booties, but oddly have never used them. I've always enjoyed fishing in hippers when I can get away with it. Usually I can so I keep a pair in the car.