to felt or not felt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

David,
    The felt may wear out a bit sooner due to barnacles, but not enough to make me want to change.
    I had a pair of Simms flats booties that I added felt soles to for years. The booties gave up before the felt was close to dying.
    I'm now wearing a pair of Simms Headwaters. The reason I went with those is because they are the lightest boot in the Simms line-up. They weight about half of what Simms Guide boots weigh. For $99.00 they are a good value.
    They've held up well and are great for longer beach hikes due to the light weight. The only place I've found felt to really suck is in the snow.
    I have not had good luck with the rubber sole boots or Korkers that I've used in the past.
    SF

Duane J and fish-on like this.
  2. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

Same here. Never noticed a big difference when it comes to barnacles. Every single time, boots give out before my felt does.

One more place felt sucks is on mud. Don't know how many times I've unintentionally body slammed myself walking on those with felt soles

Stonefish likes this.
  3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

+1... why not have both options. But to answer your question, felt for me. None of the rubber soles offered up thus far are even close when certain substrate demands it (most salt fishing does not). The other thing I like about the Korkers switch soles is that you can remove the felts and throw them into a plastic tray with water/bleach while in route to the next river.

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

For the salt I buy a pair of inexpensive lug sole wading boots. My last pair just rusted out when the eyelets start popping off it is time for a new pair. I found these Remmingtons on eBay for $15.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

5. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I'm with Stonefish in the felt club. Boots wear out long before the felt does.

6. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

+100 for felt. Rubber soles are ok for salt but Certain Death in Rivers. very dangerous. i have the simms rubber soled boots. added the aluminum stars and screws. now they are ok for hiking or snow but really bad on wet logs and river rocks. i will keep them for the beaches with sand and small rocks.

7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

My old Simms are felt bottoms, the boots get heavy but that's because they are the leather Simms. A tad bit too heavy and clunky for me to want to continue to wade with in the salt. I'll have to say though that the felt holds up, no problems there with regard to longevity and the beach I fish primarily is HEAVY with shells, heavy, nothing but razor sharp edges everywhere. I like Korkers due to the options though, felt, rubber or either studded, what's not to like.

8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

9. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

I went studded felt. thanks for all the advice, i feel that this will give me the ability to be versatile in my adventures, now i just need to be ready to slip in the mud, but hell i have been slipping in the seaweed for the last 2 years so whats the diff.

Alexander and Jeff Dodd like this.
  10. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

fished an S river yesterday. again had a slip and fall. lucky i was in about a foot of water so no big deal. just got my arm wet and no other damage. those rubber soles are real danger on any wet wood in or out of the river. and the cleats didnt help at all. just slid on the rubber part of the boot so down i went.
    looked in Cabelas today but all they had were korkers and rubber soled boots.

11. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

where did you find aluminum sheet metal screws, looked all over but couldn't find them....

12. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

Lowes or home depot would carry them

13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I found them at a fastener supply company. They weren't anything fancy, just a short sheet metal screw that fit in a 1/4" socket driver. They were short in length. I bought mine at Moses Lake Steel and they have tons of fasteners. Tacoma Screw would be a wetside equivalent.... or any local hardware store.