Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

To wax or not to wax

8K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  Redding Angler 
#1 ·
I wonder how many tiers use wax on their tying thread? I do. It is the "traditional" way I was taught some 45 years ago.
Most times I also use a waxed thread. There always was the argument that head varnish doesn't penetrate waxed thread but I have taken heads apart and found quite the opposite given that the varnish is thinned enough. I also use a tacky wax for dubbing although it is not always necessary with some of the commercial dubbing available today. I have gone back to making my own waxes again given that Overton's is no longer available and my supply is gone. Look forward to your comments and thoughts on this sometimes sticky subject.

#34 ·
Two admissions against self interest there Scott:
  1. You screamed like a girl - no one asked if anyone ever screamed like a girl
  2. You waxed yourself and admitted to it - no one asked if you waxed yourself, we were talking about flies
Now that you've properly redirected this thread into some sort of deviant direction, how'd that Brazillian Buns wax job work for you?

#35 ·
Well, the last few posts have distracted me from the serious subject of fly tying waxes. We could continue with a discussion of Brazilian waxing , "Hollywood Wax", landing strips etc., but I think we should go back to fly tying wax.

As suggested earlier, I tried some glue stick stuff today (kids wax) ON MY THREAD and it seemed to work fine. Certainly an inexpensive alternative to specific fly tying wax. As for myself, I will continue to wax MY THREAD as I have done for years. I guess it is part of the ritual or process of tying. Lord knows I have enough wax now to last a few tiers lifetimes with enough left over to do a few floors and yes perhaps even a few Brazilians.
Jackd

#42 ·
It is sold as a fly floatant and works well for that purpose however I use it especially for a Deer Hair dub for some large sedge patterns and it holds the dubbing surprisingly well against other forms - it also helpss the sedge to float that little bit longer.

Hope that helps.

#44 ·
I started out using wax and dubbing loops, but I've subsequently found that for most of the smaller size flies (which I tend to tie 8-20), I really do not need either to get the build-up and profile desired. This is particularly true when using dubbing like Natures Spirit which, unlike natural guard hairs, are much easier to wind to thread. I also find wax tends to mat down the build up and look less natural.

#45 ·
With the mention of "smell" by Jim Wallace when talking about the surfers wax, an entirely different subject/concern comes to mind. With all the things we use today in fly tying like epoxy, super glue, modern wax preparations (oil based), and certain man made materials, I wonder what the fish can smell? Fish do have a super acute sense of smell. I do think about it as I have begun to use super glue a lot in my fishing flies. It does make em last longer. I guess the smell disappears as it cures but I wonder??? I stopped using moth balls because of the smell which seemed to last a long time.
I too has wondered about the smell of things. Bee's wax has a very sweet smell. Wonder if that could be construed
as an attractant? Some of the glues and adhesives not so much, but a strong odor. I have no experience with the
UV cured adhesives. Perhaps someone with more savvy understanding of these things could jump in and enlighten us on the subject.

#46 ·
Generally only use wax for two applications: to hold synthetic dubbing as i find it doesn't hold to thread well and for finishing wet fly heads. Using wax on the heads allows for criss-cross wrapping and the thread doesn't slip, providing better coverage of the head and fewer wraps to finish it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.