To you Steelhead Authors

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

Can any of you write a damn book without trying to be a fucking poet? If you guys could do that, that'd be great, thanks. I am going to go back to my office that is encased in the concrete grid of buildings that rest below pillow like clouds with lemon sun beams peaking through like fucking lightsabers.

jordan101, Shad, ColtonM and 3 others like this.
  2. bk paige

bk paige Wishin I was on the Sauk

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

If that's where you find your soul, you're bound to end up sounding at least a BIT poetic.
    Personally, I love it. If you want a cold feelingless how to, maybe a limnology and hydro dynamics textbook are more to your liking ;)

shotgunner and Big Tuna like this.
  4. karnage

karnage Have you swung a fly today?-

why are you reading steelhead books? waste of time

5. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

If I wasn't interested in the mystique of a river's scenery, history, water course, seasons and biology, I might get a little bored standing in a cold river waving a stick.

I read books at home to keep me inspired during the 99.7% of the time that I'm not catching a fish, not to reduce it to 99.5%.

JACKspASS and stilly stalker like this.
  6. attack

attack Active Member

If you don't care about the mystique of the sport or fish, you probably dont deserve to fish for them...or catch one...guess karma has been a bitch eh?

fisshman26 and stilly stalker like this.
  7. DanielOcean

If I did not care about the mystique of the fish or the area that surrounds them, I would have quit a long ass time ago. It is just really evident that some of these steelhead writers are trying way too fucking hard. Hey steelhead writers, Norman Maclean called, he wants his writing style back!

As readers we all can be very picky about our authors. This is just one of those cases. Well, and I also wanted to see how many feathers I could fluff. Bobber down!

Bjorn, Kfish and stilly stalker like this.
  8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Have you read my "How to fish good for steelhead?" It's not poetic, just all the basic stuff a guy needs to know to competently go forth and catch steelhead.

9. JACKspASS

JACKspASS Active Member

Who's that steelheading Shakespeare dude who guides Reiter? Ron Hung?

stilly stalker likes this.
  10. wanative

wanative Active Member

11. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Swing one up and you'll probably be waxing poetic too.:D

wanative and JS like this.
  12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

There are those among us, I'm sure, who have a love of reading. I manage a book a week, usually; sometimes more depending on the book. I've read several "steelhead books" by various authors and have found some very good information. I have also read books referring to the sport about fishing certain areas, e.g. Upper Columbia Fly Fisher by Steven Bird. I met Steve this past summer and ordered up his book. Subsequently, I read it and it gave me a better understanding of the fishery that I have participated in twice in the last three years.

I find some to be better written than others. I'm no critic but as a longtime educator now retired, there are parts that a beautifully written and while they maybe don't pump me up with everything I ever wanted to know, the read was well worth the time.

Dec Hogan's book, A Passion for Steelhead is another good example. The first chapter was worth reading the entire book, IMHO. It's beautifully written. I read the entire book, cover to cover and while it didn't inspire me to to be a better steelhead fisherman, it was well worth the time.

The key to being a good writer is to write. The more a person writes, the better they become. One can always put a book down if it's not interesting.

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan ignoring Rob Allen and Generic

Home Page:
    I generally agree with you. I have read most of "the books". My complaint was that most are overly poetic. My other is that so many are focused on people. Steelhead fishing is not a social sport to me. For the most part, if I can talk to you while steelhead fishing we are way too close.
    Camping is social, if someone wanted to write a book on steelhead camp then the human aspect would make sense. Otherwise I could give a rip about reading about steelhead guides.
    DO is correct in that most steelhead books lack the basic factual how too aspect of the game. They are long on stories and people and short on how to. An actual how too book would be 2 or 3 pages long though so maybe that's why there is so little.

Go sox,
    Cds

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    JesseC likes this.
  14. DanielOcean

In all fairness Dec Hogans book is well written with just a little bit of poetry.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  15. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

"No man steps into the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man." Heraclitus

PhilR, Bob Triggs, JACKspASS and 5 others like this.