To you Steelhead Authors

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

If you haven't caught one on a greenbutt skunk, or even a non-greenbutt skunk you haven't f***ed with us. A steelhead on a swung fly in a river is pretty special and no-one can write about it effectively because each experience is different, yours will be too! These days they are almost as rare as unicorns, your unicorn is waiting, keep swinging!

2. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

Atleast I know you will be interested. It will have pop up pictures, and other places where you can color. Will come with a set of crayons too.........................and directions for ya.

JS likes this.
  3. JS

JS Active Member

Lol, yeah, sounds like that's about what you're academically capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    fisshman26 likes this.
  4. DanielOcean

Dude it has nothing to do with academics, its all about ones aptitude in the art department man. With that said, all of my art work will be stick figures. Nonetheless I will gift you a first edition. You can sit down with your pop tarts and crayons and have right at it. Just read the directions on that pop tart pouch though before you cook them. I dont want you having an accident.

JS likes this.
  5. JS

JS Active Member

Fuck you, I don't eat poptarts...that shit is poison!

I will take the 1st Ed, though! My daughter would love to get it as an ironic birthday present......the irony is she has touched more steelhead than you in her first four years of life[emoji8].

6. DanielOcean

LOL yeah probably. Let me know what her guide fees are i may be interested this winter

JS likes this.
  7. JS

JS Active Member

Pro bono for you, DO. Only downside is you have to pack her around on your back all day, and if you blow an eat she dumps her juice box on your head. Don't ask me how I know.

You're the most fun part of WFF anymore, DO.

8. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Dan this thread sucks but this response is gold

9. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Hey that rhymes with JYGFIIP!
    You should write a book.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If a guy is writing a steelhead book, he's probably spent a lot of time not catching a steelhead. So, chances are, he gets bored of the continual casting with no results and starts looking around. His mind wanders. To justify standing in a river and casting and casting for a mythical fish, he starts waxing poetic.

Hours go by.

Those hours of waxing poetic while not catching steelhead can't help but end up in the text of his book. Besides, most publishers prefer to sell books longer than 25 pages so there is that consideration. You can always drop in the magic of steelhead fishing with the puffy clouds, the wind in the trees, the beautiful unicorns on shore and the out of body experience for filler...

Otherwise, if you just stick to the facts you end up with a 25 page book and no one will publish the sucker.

:confused:

JS and jake-e-boy like this.
  11. FT

FT Active Member

Get both of Bob Arnold's books, STEELHEAD WATER, and STEELHEAD AND THE FLOATING LINE. Neither of them have poetry in them, and Bob (a friend of mine) has an MA in English and make his living until his retirement 14 years ago as a freelance writer and freelance technical editor. In other words, he know how to write and write very well. Both of these books by him are full in info on how to fish for steelhead while entertaining the reader with stories about fishing. But they are full of gems on technique for those new to steelhead and those who have been fishing for them with a fly for many years.

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    One of the best essays on steelhead fly fishing I have ever read was written by Russell Chatham, in a book of his essays called "Dark Waters."

jake-e-boy likes this.
  13. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Interestingly enough, I loaned Bob a spey rod with a sink tip line. You can read about it in his second book, last chapter. As I recall, he kept it for quite some time. His dilemma was he couldn't decide which one he should get, the 7wt or the 9wt. I suggested he inquire with Sage about a pro discount, him being a writer and all...he did and wound up getting both rods. :)

Good times getting to hang with Bob for awhile...

shotgunner likes this.
  14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I find it very interesting when someone says or writes something controversial and then gets bombed for it, that they pass it off as a joke or a misunderstanding of the quote. They change their tune. The truth is that there are readers and "readers." It a proven fact that most (not all) adults read at a 6th grade level; mainly because they don't read enough or they read less challenging text. The difference is that reading is thinking. Think about that. If you pick up something that is so dry that you toss it aside you won't learn a damn thing. The "poetry" in a book normally holds the reader's interest and if the reader is truly reading, he/she picks up the subtle nuances that the author is implanting in the book. In other words, you have to "read between the lines" to use an overused phrase. We continually chastise people for hotspotting on this forum and so if an author hints at a technique or uses guidespeak or merely tells a story, one has to read into what the author is saying even though he/she doesn't come right out and lay it on the table. Too many people want it out on the table so they don't have to invest the time to think things through.

15. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

The problem with steelhead books is that they are typically written by people by people who think they know more than about steelheading than there actually is to know.
    Stories about rivers, people and circumstances are more informative than anyones attempt to explain how to do it. At least in my opinion.