Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

To you Steelhead Authors

Tags
steelhead to
10K views 142 replies 34 participants last post by  Bones 
#1 ·
Can any of you write a damn book without trying to be a fucking poet? If you guys could do that, that'd be great, thanks. I am going to go back to my office that is encased in the concrete grid of buildings that rest below pillow like clouds with lemon sun beams peaking through like fucking lightsabers.

#44 ·
I find it very interesting when someone says or writes something controversial and then gets bombed for it, that they pass it off as a joke or a misunderstanding of the quote. They change their tune. The truth is that there are readers and "readers." It a proven fact that most (not all) adults read at a 6th grade level; mainly because they don't read enough or they read less challenging text. The difference is that reading is thinking. Think about that. If you pick up something that is so dry that you toss it aside you won't learn a damn thing. The "poetry" in a book normally holds the reader's interest and if the reader is truly reading, he/she picks up the subtle nuances that the author is implanting in the book. In other words, you have to "read between the lines" to use an overused phrase. We continually chastise people for hotspotting on this forum and so if an author hints at a technique or uses guidespeak or merely tells a story, one has to read into what the author is saying even though he/she doesn't come right out and lay it on the table. Too many people want it out on the table so they don't have to invest the time to think things through.

#45 ·
The problem with steelhead books is that they are typically written by people by people who think they know more than about steelheading than there actually is to know.
Stories about rivers, people and circumstances are more informative than anyones attempt to explain how to do it. At least in my opinion.

#52 ·
I heard Mr Hung is writing a book but between vaping competitions, cross fit and filling steelhead tags it's a slow process. It's a good thing our hero doesn't sleep. It'll be the first fishing related book to be a NYT best seller and also get him a spot on Oprah. 2018 is gonna be a big year. Chromers and consumers will both be slayed.

#57 ·
Indeed it is. A little out of body experience keeps the ego in check. Maybe a little interdimensional time warp that transplants him into the "before time" and gives him a chance to make amends to the forefathers for this tasteless thread. I won't be picky. Yes I see it now. The third eye beckons. Dan are you ready? Was Saturday your moment of reckoning?

#60 ·
Indeed it is. A little out of body experience keeps the ego in check. Maybe a little interdimensional time warp that transplants him into the "before time" and gives him a chance to make amends to the forefathers for this tasteless thread. I won't be picky. Yes I see it now. The third eye beckons. Dan are you ready? Was Saturday your moment of reckoning?
He'll need the whole tribe. All their powers.

#68 ·
Steelhead suck, there aren't many of them and most of them are hatchery fish that don't take flies and don't care to fight much. Seems to me the whole steelhead thing should be put to bed so we can concentrate on walleye, bass, crappie and PIKE. Things change and we'd be wise to change too...

#69 · (Edited)
This just in. Hatchery steelhead refusing the fly in protest then lazy on the hook when hooked. Are hatchery steelhead the millennials of steelhead? You decide. More at eleven.

I think hatchery Steelhead take a fly alright but skamania fish tend to like salmon water that's tough to fish with a swing. Both can take and fight well. I heard just the other day that fish have distinct personalities. Each one a little individual living in a strange matrix of clones for harvest. That's gotta suck. Then you got us. These weird beings ready to pull out all the spiritual stops just to get one using "the sacred method". The implications to a possible sci fi novel are all there. Hatchery, by Dustin chromers.

#97 ·
This thread was getting interesting and then the wind shifted and now I'm starting to detect a little sewage in the air. I'm gonna plug my nose and hope it passes..... It's been months since I was entertained in the steelhead forum, let's get back on track.....

Now I believe we are at an interesting fork in the road here dudes. On one hand we have anglers who may be considered fishy, and on another we have anglers who seem plagued by poor luck. This is where I start to delve a little off script and wonder what separates these two individuals beyond skill? Is there something a little deeper that certain people can just tap into? Do you believe in karma, the "fish gods", or does it boil down to luck and/or skill?? I'm not speaking of Daniel or anyone specifically, just talking out loud. Everyone knows a fish magnet...

#102 ·
That said I do believe in karma, or as my pops put it "What goes around comes around".

With proper perspective it becomes obvious that just getting to go fishing, and enjoying it properly, is having good karma though.
Weak! You'll never get famous or have many stickers with that attitude. You gotta be slaying the steel constantly. Social media had to be ten prong and active. You need to market yourself more man. I'm starting to question if you really want it bad enough. What will the boys at The Steel Syndicate say? Or the Steel Mafia!? You gotta be handy with the stick and sling the string of you wanna swing the bling.

#106 ·
There are three types of steelheaders:

1. Stone cold killer. This is the guy who has his fly in the water ALOT, and what separates him from #2 is whenever he makes contact with a fish he knows why.....as in why the fish was holding there and why it took chosen presentation and fly. Always mentally recording data based off hundreds/thousands of opportunities. Every fish is a building block to the next. Now it's a matter of wether there is an aggressive fish in the run.....game over if there is. These are the guys who never stop steelheading.

2. This is the guy who spends alot of time on the river but also has many more interests. He has caught lot of fish but gets to a certain plateau then stalls out. Going through the motions per se. If there is an aggressive fish in a run, he makes contact 70% of time, if there are pressured non aggressive fish he mostly strikes out, were dude 1 finds a way. These are the guys who give it up after many years...figuring they've been there....done that

3. D.O

Am I close?

#107 ·
There are three types of steelheaders:

1. Stone cold killer. This is the guy who has his fly in the water ALOT, and what separates him from #2 is whenever he makes contact with a fish he knows why.....as in why the fish was holding there and why it took chosen presentation and fly. Always mentally recording data based off hundreds/thousands of opportunities. Every fish is a building block to the next. Now it's a matter of wether there is an aggressive fish in the run.....game over if there is. These are the guys who never stop steelheading.

2. This is the guy who spends alot of time on the river but also has many more interests. He has caught lot of fish but gets to a certain plateau then stalls out. Going through the motions per se. If there is an aggressive fish in a run, he makes contact 70% of time, if there are pressured non aggressive fish he mostly strikes out, were dude 1 finds a way. These are the guys who give it up after many years...figuring they've been there....done that

3. D.O

Am I close?
Guess I'm a deuce who hasn't quit yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.