Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Toon batteries and charger help...

Boats 
891 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sportsman 
#1 ·
Ages back I got help here with wheelchair batteries. Did the trick for a good long while. Preparing to buy 4 new ones and a charger. Any suggestions on where and what I should look at?

Thinking 12v 18 Ah.
Thanks

BJ

#2 ·
I like to use 6 volt batteries wired to make 12 volts. You get really good long charges on them. I know a lot of people that swear by the batteries Costco sells. Pacific Power Batteries is a good place to get batteries & chargers. Their website is one of the worst ones you'll ever see, but they know batteries.

#3 ·
I recently bought an Tecmate Optimate battery charger based on a buddy's recommendation. It supposedly desulfonates too. The model I purchased was the Optimate 3x2. Can maintain two batteries off one unit. I bought mine online at a place called Revzilla. The Optimate charger is intended for motorcycle batteries and comes with ring connectors and clamps. However, you can get ring connectors that will fit marine and auto batteries from Amazon.com if you don't want to use clamps.

I heard Costco wasn't selling Kirkland batteries anymore and are now selling interstate batteries. I would also recommend going with a gel or agm battery, though they are quite pricey.

#5 ·
Ages back I got help here with wheelchair batteries. Did the trick for a good long while. Preparing to buy 4 new ones and a charger. Any suggestions on where and what I should look at?

Thinking 12v 18 Ah.
Thanks

BJ
BJ, all the info I gave you back in the day still holds true........except the outfit in Oregon I recommend is out of buisness. Be prepared for sticker shock, the same battery 7 years ago is now 60 percent more. Brand names mean very little, I think there are only 3 battery MFG's in the US. I have had better luck with Absorbed Glass Mat than with Gel batteries, not sure why...I know they have lasted longer. Size and AH for me is basically a need for how long I will be using the motor and balancing the load. In an inflatable, balance is really important. Example: on a long day with my Renegade, I put a 14 AH (9 1/2 lbs) in the back of each side pocket and one on each side of a good sized cooler behind the seat. I just rotate as needed and this is the best setup (for me anyway). You can save a lot of money going with a group 27 Deep cycle, as long as you don't have back issues, and weight isn't a factor. I pay the extra money for AGM's because of back issues, balancing the load and depending on the day, I can take just one battery for a short day or 2,3 or 4. After 8 years and a LOT of charges, I need to replace all of mine. There is a fairly new outfit in Bellevue that seems to have decent prices and I think I will switch to three 18 AH AGM's this time. Hope some of this helps!

#6 ·
I like to use 6 volt batteries wired to make 12 volts. You get really good long charges on them. I know a lot of people that swear by the batteries Costco sells. Pacific Power Batteries is a good place to get batteries & chargers. Their website is one of the worst ones you'll ever see, but they know batteries.
Can you explain a little more here? Electricity ain't my wheelhouse...lookin for 18(ish) Ah...how many 6's equate to this charge time? Different charging system?

BJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.