Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Top water slider squid pattern for pink salmon

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Smalma 
#1 ·
Over the next couple of weeks I am going to try and get some pink salmon on a top water pattern. I have come up with a pink slider squid pattern(approximately 1 3/4 inch) as shown in the photo below. I think that I will have a good chance of hooking some fish with it since I know of couple of locations where there is no/ little fishing pressure with at times a lot of fish there. It will probably be an important factor to have success fishing a top water pattern where the pink salmon have no/little pressure. It could be fun or a bust:cool:.

4 years ago tried a bulky popper pattern with no success. I think the pattern was too larger plus the location which I tried had numerous boats and shore anglers.

Roger

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Results?

Over the next couple of weeks I am going to try and get some pink salmon on a top water pattern. I have come up with a pink slider squid pattern(approximately 1 3/4 inch) as shown in the photo below. I think that I will have a good chance of hooking some fish with it since I know of couple of locations where there is no/ little fishing pressure with at times a lot of fish there. It will probably be an important factor to have success fishing a top water pattern where the pink salmon have no/little pressure. It could be fun or a bust:cool:.

4 years ago tried a bulky popper pattern with no success. I think the pattern was too larger plus the location which I tried had numerous boats and shore anglers.

Roger

#7 ·
Roger- tonight I went out to a local beach, on a nice tide, with some water moving relatively fast over 3-5 feet cobbled depths. At twilight the winds had died and you could see whatever was interesting, which turned out to be not much. Except one thing, there was at one point a small, perhaps 3-4 feet in diameter multifocal dimpling that appeared for about 10 seconds or so and vanished. No swirls, just like small rain drops had fallen in a very small area. Of course that became my target for the next ten or so casts. On about the tenth, bang, a solid and only strike and it was fish on. A fiesty resident coho to hand, 16 or so inches of fat monkey. Before I could unhook him, he had yurped up a squid, exactly the same size as what Kelvin's got in his photo there. Nearly three inches or so. So my take on the dimpling was squid were schooling, the resident spooked them a little, the squids jetted to escape, and when their jets are oriented up, they caused the dimpling surface on the outflow there.

That greedy resident coho desired my chartreuse clouser like Mr Creosote wanted a mint...its waffer thin...I have to get me some more squid, this is the second time I've seen this same scenario play out in the last three weeks, the first time I assumed the dimpling was from baitfish trying to flee....These were absolute twilight scenarios in shallow waters. Zip nada zero with good light...

#9 ·

Roger
"Floating Turd?"

#11 ·
Roger -
In freshwater have had some luck with a smallish pink muddler type fly on the surface (right in the film); might be worth whipping up a few as a back up to experiment with as an alternate.

Trying new flies and approaches are part of the fascination of the fly fishing game. Good luck looking forward to the reports.

curt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.