Transport ideas or wheel designs for my pram

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by yellowlab, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

In the meantime while I'm shirt shopping, mind loaning my your little one's hat?

2. herl

herl Member

No problem. Now.. if I can just figure out how to get it into the computer.. where's my hat drive?

3. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    A picture is worth a thousand words... would love to see the finished product. I am sort of having a visual, but if I had a part # for those racheting clamp bars, it'd be a heck of alot easier to conceptualize your transport system. I like Harbor Freight, like a kid in a candy store...and there is one in Redmond, I believe... =)

4. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
  5. herl

herl Member

Paul that is close but the clamp was a step or two 'beefier' than that one. They have them at the Redmond store - 3 or 4 different sizes - and are labelled 'heavy duty clamp'. I can't find them on the website either..

Sorry to leave you hanging but I don't think I'll have pictures for a week or so..

The axle is made up of a stainless bolt through the aluminum angle, and through the spacers/bushings, and I actually used some wide PVC tubing to get it the fit into the dolly wheel just right - the wheel has bearings so you don't have to worry about that. Large washers on either side of the wheel. I spent a lot of time at Hardwicks to get all the right sized pieces..

I don't have mine all together yet but the only potential problem I see is the clamp slipping (front --> back) on the bottom of the boat. I may have to add some kind of soft rubber, grippy thing to bottom jaw of the clamp. If your boat has too much of a vee, that could also make it hard for the clamp to hang on. Another thing that could make it difficult is if the sides of your boat are not straight down, or very close to it. The alternative would be to clamp the wheels to the transom - in this case you could do away with the aluminum angle. But then the wheels would have to fit entirely below the bottom of the boat, so they'd either have to have a very small diameter or your boat would be riding very high on the wheels and may be difficult to maneuver.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Okay, here are a couple of photos. First is a prototye that has my bike stem mounted to the motor mount. Fork cut down, quick release for the fork. The stem would stay in place. I opted to move away from this one because of the anchor area and too much going on right there, but it worked fine.

Second photo is of the back deck just behind my seat. The knob you see is the tightening mechanism that clamps my wheel mount in place. The not in use position has the wheel mount up along the underside of the back deck. Photo three shows this from beneath my pontoon looking forward and upward. Let me know if this does not make sense. It is made from a bicycle front wheel carrier for a roof rack. I had two. My previous toon was sold with one in place that worked well, thus far this one has not been tested anywhere but my garage and driveway, where it has held the weight of my fully loaded toon very well.

Attached Files:

7. herl

herl Member

alright, I had time to get a few quick pictures.. pardon the leaves and crap. I haven't worked on this over the winter.

The clamp, in place:
    wheel3.jpg

the wheel assembly:
    IMG_0052.JPG wheel2.jpg

8. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Ed, I think that would be great for a pontoon set up, but Im trying to figure out something for my pram. Looking at your bike stem, there is no way two bolts would support a loaded pram and still don't like the idea of drilling into the boat. Im gonna need to come up with sumptin'...

Herl, man, that sounds way too complicated. I think I have to go back to my drawing board. Would love to see photos when you return. I already have this: http://www.springcreekprams.com/pramdolly.htm good for paved surfaces, but I want something lighter, compact and able to go longer distances over all sorts of terrain.

Ultimately, whatever works for you guys, thats kudos to you for coming up with it.

9. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Interesting...have you field tested this yet? Im worried the small surface area of the clamp will slip when hitting a rock or obstacle. Let me know how the project comes out. WOuld love to know how it works.

10. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Paul check out this post that I did last year

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=38011

this cart will easily handle 100 lbs (I have not tested for maximum load capacity). The only concern that might occur with a pram, is that it might ride too high off the ground and affect your vision going down a trail (not a problem with my pontoon). :beer2:

11. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

Paul,
    Trust myself and Letemgo the wheel-a-way is going to be your all around best dolly for a pram,has nice size tires,sturdy,easy on-off,light,won't rust,compact.I know it sounds like alot of cash for something so simple but it was way cheaper than the spring creek one and a hell of alot nicer going into those hike in places due to the extra ground clearance.
    That Pram you got is to nice to put on something that could possibly fail on the way in/out or after a few trips...do yourself a favor and at least go see it,if they don't have one call me if you still got my # or pm me and you can check mine out...good luck,Jeff

Try this www.davisnet.com put in : wheel-a-weigh in search. model I got is 1465,but theres other options there also,just remember this tip you want your set-up to be on or just off center or else your in for one hell of a work out..

12. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Super secret: man, that was alot of engineering and work, I take it you just leave it at the launch and pick it up at the end of the day? Im looking for something more compact and not so wide to get it into the trails. Thats why Im thinking the single wheel method, like a wheelbarrow. It may not be as sturdy as the Wheel-A-Weigh. But Im willing to give it a try. If I can find a used shock mountain bike fork, I've been thinking about incorporating something like this and using a bigger diameter wheel. I saw a product at Boater's world, made in Lynnwood actually and patented, it uses a big plastic Flintstone's type wheel with CNC milled aluminum. BUT it requires drilling, so that might be not as attractive. However the female end of the receiver would match my Koffler, so perhaps drilling would be ok as long as its well above the water line and then finding a second bracket to mount on my other boat.

13. herl

herl Member

There is no way the top arm of the clamp will slip, but I am also a little bit concerned about the bottom arm, on the bottom of the boat. It seems very solid but we'll have to see how it actually works. I suppose if it does become a problem a single ratcheting strap, pulled tight between the two clamps, under the boat would take care of that. But that is getting a little complicated.

It may be different for your boat too. Mine is polyethylene and has a little give, so I can really crank down on the clamp and the boat pushes back.

14. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    These are mine, what I have currently to use to transport. A 4" diameter wheeled dolly.

Attached Files:

15. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Fishfinder, that is one slick set up with the folding wheel brackets. Good for you. I've got the same transport issue but haven't decided whether to buy a bunch of beater $50 boats and leave them on the various beaches I fish or invest in a personal hot air balloon to fly them where I want to go. At least with the balloon I know I've got enough hot air to keep it floating permanently.

JR