Transport ideas or wheel designs for my pram

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by yellowlab, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Thanks JR. Only had to use it once so far. Hope it hold up.

Mike

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Check out www.wheeleez.com for some really bitchin' fat low-pressure tires. These tires are great for going over loose sand and soft mud, etc. They don't bog down or leave deep ruts. You could make a dolly with these.

I bought the "kayak cart" with the 7" wide by 11.8" diameter urethane wheels. They are the best low-pressure (2 to 4 lbs) soft-sand wheels available that I have found anywhere.
    You can buy direct from their website.

3. Jim, I think you found the exact product that I was looking for! Thanks, I think I'll end up buying one from them versus trying to build one out. They have some really nice products on their website.

4. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Jim & Paul how are the "Wheel Eez" for puncture resistance? A Russian Olive tree in Eastern WA basin lakes could really put a "thorn" in your Day. Those babys can be 3" long! bawling:

5. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

You know I'll be happy to set you up on one of these when you are ready.

10" wheels and gunwale strap holes to eliminate the balancing act.

Attached Files:

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

bigfun4me: I have ???'s
    1) how much does that cost?
    2) how wide is it from side to side?
    3) how long would an order take?
    4) how much does it weigh?
    Awesome looking option that I bet would go nicely for pontoons, prams and many other watercraft.

Thanks, Ed.

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Jim, what do you lug/transport on your wheeleez? Pontoon or pram or . . . ?

8. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

Mumbles- I have not received mine yet but I have most of the information you asked for.

$200 - Custom quotes are available and it's less than the ticket you'll get at that E. WA lake for driving past the gate.
    Approximately 45" wide
    Joe@kofflerboats.com can have one to you in about a week.
    He's getting back to me on weight and a freight quote but I estimate about 12-15 pnds.

Pm me if you need more pictures.

9. Ed Call

Thanks BigFun4Me. I'm gonna see how that width would do on my new fishcat panther. The boat is 64" wide when fully inflated, but I don't know the inside width. I'm thinking that could be light enough to strap on the bottom, wheel to the destination, remove and then strap onto the top wheels up to keep them dry and safe from cart predators.

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Puncture resistance on those low-pressure urethane tires is pretty good, as they bulge inward a ways when encountering a sharp object, and the urethane is tough. I keep mine on the low end of inflation, around 2 to 2.5 lbs. But I have only checked the air at home, in my garage. I figure they will heat up on the beach, expanding the air inside, and increasing the pressure.

Can't say what a 2" or 3" thorn would do to 'em, though. I try to avoid sharp objects, but I have only used my cart once, and it was awesome for the job. (I only use it if I have to transport my U-12 some distance from my truck to the water. Most places I just shoulder it for the short distance).

I haul my Ultimate 12 hybrid canoe on it with all my gear stowed near the center to balance it, so I can haul everything in one trip. My cart has a max load capacity of about 121 lbs, according to the raised lettering on the sides of the tires, and my U-12 hull weighs about 48 lbs. So with all the rest of my gear loaded inside, I'm still under the load limit.
    I just carry it back to my rig and lock it inside while I'm out on the water.

I had to add a customized cradle on top of my cart, so it would fit my U-12's tunnel hull snugly enough to remain firmly attached on a bumpy trail. Cinches down solidly now, with no wobbling on the trail.

Something like what bigfun4me showed would be better for transporting a wider hull over solid ground with thorns. I got my kayak cart to use in soft sand and squishy soft estuary mud. I have another "canoe cart" with bicycle style wheels that is useless on soft ground, but fine for hard dirt and paved surfaces.

I plan to use mine on the beach here, as well as on at least one fairly long, sometimes muddy trail to a soft sandy launch on the Elk River estuary, which is close by and is one of my favorite places to paddle.

I got it a little late in the season last year for using it at the places I have in mind for it.

11. I field tested my PaddleBoy wide dolly yesterday and it performed well. Even my buddies big 15" diameter wheels were bogging down in the soft sand, so I didn't feel too bad. I might just hang onto the Paddleboy and look at buying another Wheeleez standard Kayak and Pram hauler, which has foam filled puncture proof tires. Its $120, and best of all folds up to clear the room in your boat.

Attached Files:

12. Ed Call

Nice Paul!

I have a two wheel dolly that is damaged on the handle and near the handle on one side. I've kept it for some unkown reason until now. I'm gonna mount some long board to it so that I can strap it on like BigFun4Me's example only low budget version. When on land it will support my wide toon with straps. When on the water it will extend the back deck by sitting atop the toons. This creation is currently only in my mind, but when I get back from the Hoh I'll whip it up.

My fear now is that fishdontcare will have my rig at the Hoh, be into mad fish and forget to pick me up at the predetermined take out point. If that happens then I will end up having to hike my big ass toon out...dreadful nightmares about that!

13. I wish I had the capability to weld aluminum, as I've got some ideas for all sorts of Marine and fishing products. I'd be in the workshop all day and night building stuff.

14. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

15. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Thw wheeleez worked great for transporting seadoos across sand and rocky beaches. Should work great for a pram.