Triple Electrics

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by mbowers, Nov 28, 2017.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Saw this pic posted on Facebook and it cracked me up so much I had to post. Maybe Foosball players have the skills to run that setup? :) [​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bruce Baker, Matt B, Buzzy and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

With 3 batteries, that must look like it's "coming out of the hole" all the time . . .

3. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

There's this lake northwest of me. @Irafly has shared a report on this lake and his trials and tribulations of getting back to the launch/takeout in a slight breeze. For whatever reason, Mother Nature loves to shift the direction the wind blows on this particular alkaline lake, loaded with Lahontan Cutthroat, about the time you need to leave so you're always kicking, rowing or electric motoring into the wind.

Years ago we started using two electrics motors, each with their own "fresh" battery because Grimes Lake often gets an afternoon wind from the south. We learned the hard way. Heading back in one day, the wind was howling and pretty soon the battery had no juice. I bailed over the side, grabbed the bowline and towed the boat back to the takeout. Anyone whose been there knows the bottom can be soft in places, right? We made it. That was the trip where the light came on: fresh batteries, a pair of 'em, two motors with enough thrust to pull a wake board. Right on!

wanative, Irafly and Jim Ficklin like this.
  4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

That males prudent sense, Pat but I'd be joining the tillers together so they functioned in-unison.

Buzzy likes this.
  5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I believe one of those guys must be a candidate for the open Tennessee football head coaching postion.
    Being able to handle three electrics would go over really well with their fan base....well Bill Dance at least. ;)
    SF

wanative, Buzzy and mbowers like this.
  6. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I'm all about extra trolling motor power but that's what 24V and 36V motors are for. Especially ones with autopilot! :)

Triple outboards buy you a little extra speed at the price of much worse fuel economy from the extra drag of lower units and propellers. Plus those props spin in different directions too which improves behavior...

If you had twin TMs and batteries, I wonder if at half battery you would be better to remove one TM from water and go parallel on the batteries to make the one TM run better.. Interesting optimization question!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Buzzy likes this.
  7. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

I remember an earlier response from you about bow mount autopilot units - maybe someday this cheap old fart might think about bow mounted autopilot with gps tracking and all that stuff. It is really out of my budget.........or so I think.

We really never got in trouble on Grimes once we went to two motors and two batteries. But then I didn't mention that in addition to the twin screws, there was a different boat brought into the picture. Instead of an old 10-foot Livingston with duct tape on the twin hulls, it was a new 14-foot Smokercraft.

8. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Active Member

Home Page:
    Even the basic bow mount autopilot to hold a course is worth having. Bow mount is def the way to go though.

Mine is a late 80's Minn Kota and still survives.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Buzzy and mbowers like this.
  9. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

search function answer

10. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

11. MileHighFlyGuy

MileHighFlyGuy Active Member

Pretty sure it would work fine to steer with the center motor and lock the other two straight ahead.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  12. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Having several TM's the bow mount is an absolute game changer for catch rate/efficiency.

13. Bjorn

Bjorn Active Member

Wind can be a killer for any DB set up. My Trax 80-24v uses way less juice than a trax 55-12v just something to consider when you are looking at TM's.