triploids

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Trout Master, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Kind of annoyed to see they're still putting them in Merill.

2. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Fishcentral
    The more I read about Crane Prarie the more I want to make the 400+ mile drive from Whidbey Island.

3. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    The problem, according to a department biologist, is that the trips eat the dips fry plants. Thereby, making it very difficult to maintain an age class distribution that works for a quality fishing experience.

So the solution becomes to plant 10-12 inch fish like the example at Crane which is expensive.

However, the lake has to be very productive so there is enough "feed" to maintain the larger fish populations.

So you get lakes with very few large fish and everybody complains about the fishing.

Well, that's the story I am sticking with!!

On the other hand, I would love to see a few trips thrown into small lakes and ponds. They would probably get poached and fished out quickly, but it would be a cheap thrill if you were there are the right time.

Having caught both 16 inch trips and dips out of the same lake. It was no contest....a 16 inch trip peeled line.

The problems with Dry Falls a few years back were the result of trips and their stocking.

4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

send a pm i can give onfo if your interested , it would be worth a week trip . if you went in may you could be fishing for trophy browns in wickiup in the morn and fishing trophy cranebows at 10 on crane ! hope to here from you !

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

It won't be this year Fishcentral, as I'm headed to BC in May, but I don't forget offers for fish intel. Thank you and you'll hear from me.

6. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I know from experence that fishing in Nunnally was better before the trips went in there. The fish fought harder , Alot of the fly clubs have fought for the dips instead of the trips. And I'm happy that the $$$$ are not gonna be spent on the trips.

7. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

BC uses triploids extensively and they have been in the game a long time.....they are usually planted as fingerlings into quality lakes with 2Ns. I like 'em.... all female 3N fish are even better and are becoming more commonly used..... as they maintain their chrome without becoming egg bound (a waste of energy as most lake do not support spawning anyway) and triploid males even though sterile go through the morphological changes turn dark and develop milt (sterile) and lose energy..... so all females (AF3N) are considered better, the future is here now ....... If you visit GOFISHBC site lots of info can be found on"non reproductive technologies" from the GOFISHBC (freshwater fishery society)....

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

do they mix them with the native kamloops ?

9. pond monkey

pond monkey Guest

The "Kamloops trout" is a bit of a myth..... there are numerous strains (of mykiss) and they are mixed in so much as different strains (often two or three) are planted in the same body of water as fingerlings.... Rememeber a huge majority of the BC lakes have no "native" fish, i.e those lakes were devoid of fish until the Europeans came. Here in Oregon I believe most of the run of the mill stocked trout are now triploids....for genetic reasons though not for quality.....
    The GOFISHBC website has tons of info on their programs, stocking schedules, trout strains ect

10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

good info thanks for posting ! east lake also was said to be void of fish so browns were brought in ! last year they brought in the klamath lake brood stock trout and planted them in east to help with the chub problem ! I always wondered why they had not used a good species of trout for that lakes rainbows and now they have ! they also put a 17 inch limit on the browns so no browns over 17 inches can be kept ! give it a couple years and there will be 8 pound klamath bows and browns to 20 pounds ! well it already has browns to 20 !!! FISHONzzzzzzzzzzzzSNAP !!!!

11. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

yes my local fredmeyer has farm rasied (steelhead) which my dad is a store director for fredmeyer and he said they are farm rasied triploids from the net pins on the upper columbia rufus woods. so yes there are some raised for market there just called farm rasied steelhead.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sue,

The subject of triploids came up at the last IFPAG meeting. Here's a revelation: triploids are the only fish legally planted in this state that are not raised in WDFW hatcheries.

After some sharp questioning it was revealed that the law allowing WDFW to plant them was specifically authorized by the legislature with language mentioning the word 'triploid' by name. While I'm sure any our legislators can recite at length the details about their largest campaign contributors, I seriously doubt many could even define the word 'triplod', much less how it applies to trout and fish stocking. It seems quite unlikely that there was some massive groundswell of demand by their constituents to plant triploids in the state's stillwaters.

So just who wrote that legislation one wonders?

Turns out there's only one supplier of triploids in this state, TroutLodge. The state Office of Procurement had to have a special exemption from the legislature to allow purchasing triploids from TroutLodge, since there were no competing bids from other potential suppliers.

It's likely the entire triploid planting program in this state was engineered by TroutLodge and their lobbyist(s) as a way to ensure a steady demand for a product that only they are able to produce.

K

13. Chef

Chef New Member

....and the plot thickens......

14. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Very interesting stuff. Having a degree in biochemistry with an emphasis on genetics gives me a different perspective than most people. I have too much superfluous information stored in my brain to begin to lay it out here, but I'm game to talk about it in person should I meet any of you and the subject arises.

15. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

i'm running for the carrot but for some reason i cant catch it !