Trolling motor thrust?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by DanielOcean, Mar 17, 2014.

1. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I have a Minn Kota with 30# thrust. Never put it on my kick boat, but, on my inflatable boat, it works great. I like it because of the shorter shaft.

2. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

HA HA you put shaft, and thrust in the same statement. LOL

3. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Thanks for the help guys. I figured I will get a motor when I figure out how I am going to comfortably turn around and operate it.

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

It's dead simple to operate. Set the motor up so that it pulls the boat-the same direction you go when you kick or row. Lock it in the straight ahead position at whatever speed you need and steer with your fins.

Old406Kid likes this.
  5. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Exactly as Ive says.
    Create drag left or right accordingly with your fin (or oar if not fishing).

6. Jim Lawrence

Jim Lawrence New Member

I've written about this before but will repeat as it seems a good discussion to do that. I took a small electric trolling motor and cut the head off, moved it up to a simple mount where I can easily reach it and just extended the wires as needed. I mounted the motor in it's usual place locked dead ahead. For steering, I drag my feet for small turns but I let my oars trail back and with just a small amount of hand pressure I can make larger turns. The dead ahead position will need a small amount of tweaking to get it set dead on, much like trim tabs on a big motor but after that you are good to go. I use this on a 9foot pontoon and it works just great.

Rob Hardman likes this.
  7. Jim Lawrence

Jim Lawrence New Member

A few more thoughts as I was thinking about this set-up. I set mine up to travel forward. This will cause a bit of fishtailing but if you don't try to set speed records it works well. Traveling backward would be more stable I would think but I like to travel to my spots going forward, then troll backwards. Having the motor control up front makes this easy. I have a 55# thrust motor on my pram and this would be way overkill on a small pontoon. Also try to find a motor that has infinite motor control so that you can keep the speed at about wooley bugger speed. Some motors have a motor control that is notched and even on the lowest speed is too fast. On my first try at this I had to drag a bucket to slow it down. Not a pretty sight. One last thing... I took 4 different motors and set them up the same and tested the current draw at the lowest speed. The oldest motors (1960's) actually drew less current than the new ones. Get a good used motor and have fun!

Rob Hardman likes this.
  8. nztube

nztube New Member

that the setup i have now ( just back from fishing) my frame hold very well no worry's there , so maybe consider a small gas motor ..
    View attachment 39950

Attached Files:

• p3.jpg
      p3.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • p6.jpg
      p6.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • p5.jpg
      p5.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • p4.jpg
      p4.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Irafly likes this.
  9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

This is true for Leech, but you can have an electric on Lenice.

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I started off in 1985 with a donut tube and a floatpower with a Minn Kota. I think it was a 28. Used that for a couple years then boat the Alpine by Bucks Bags (the old ones that the foot bar connected with straps to the front of the boat). It was a 6'er so the 28 was fine. Sold that boat and motor and got Navigator )the first proto type from NFO.) it was 6' long with a seat and back area like the fat cat, except the back unzipped for a trolling motor. I used a 30 on it. The came the 12 foot Cardiac Canyon. With 12" diameter pontoons, the 30 was plenty. Then came the NFO X5. The 30 really wasn't enough. Got a sweet deal on a Minn Kota 40 Maxxum. After using it for 5 years, it finally died. Now run the Maximizer 55 on the X5 and my 14 foot aluminum boat. Still use the 30 on the Predator, Fusion and the Assault and it is plenty.
    I do take the head off and turn it 180 so the handle is facing the same direction as the prop. So, I have all the speed pulling me and I steer with fins or Oar. I even took the head off one of the 30s and added 5' of wire ribbon and put the controls in a metal box about 4" x 2" x2" that sits right by me.

You do need to register them and license them just like a regular boat.

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I agree that bigger is better, especially with the Minn Kota Maximizer. I run my 55# literally all day on the Delta against tides and/or current in my 12' glass skiff, and the battery reads 80% after 6-8 hours with a Group 27 battery. On the Renegade the 55# trolls beautifully at the low speeds and goes 4.7mph GPS when moving spots. It barely registers after a day of intermittent use on the battery charger--like 95%. The thing is you use less amp hours with a larger motor at low speed than a small one at higher speeds because of the increased torque and efficiency.

Whatever you do, spend the money for the Maximizer. Your amp hour usage will at least half if not less than a motor without this feature.

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I was going to bring that up. If you boat for just a few hours at a time, the Endura is fine. I can get 6 to 7+ hours out of the Endura 30 and 45 on the frameless boats easy, but I do need to charge that night and I don't go 3 to 5 for long periods of time. So if you fit that type, an Endura is fine.
    But if you want to run harder and longer the Maximizer is wonderful. I will use one one day and the other then next. Both do the job.