Tropical salt water flies?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brook hunter, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

Fishing Guam during Xmas. New to tropical saltwater. Planning to bring Clousers, poppers, crazy Charlie’s, crab patterns, deceivers, etc. hope to fish some flats and blue water out of boat. Some target species...jacks, trevally, bones, parrotfish, barracuda, etc.

Anyone with tropical salt water experiences give me input on size hooks for these trevally and dorado and barracuda? Are there are colors you absolutely love more than others on clousers, poppers, and deceivers? If you could include some pictures and or links to favorite patterns, color combos, etc (for these fish it would be greatly appreciated).

Poppers seem awesome but so many choices for size, color, and style. Hoping to narrow it down a bit.

2. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

I just did a quick online search for Guam fly fishing, and it appears inshore fishing is pretty limited due to pressure by the locals. It looks like offshore is the way to go, and it looks like a wahoo and dorado show.

You can make it simple or make it complicated. In all of the flies you mention, the first colors I would choose would be white over white. Wherever you go, many (if not most) baitfish have white bellies and silver sides. I fished for little bonita once in the bay outside of Puerto Vallarta, and the 2/0 deceivers and othe baitfish (sea habit) patterns were too big, and a #4 crazy charlie ended up being a hot fly. Fished Zihuatanejo, and the captain, when I asked about colors, "blanco". White is a uiversally effective color.

Then add from there, say with olive over white. Tough to beat that color combination. I'd definitely have some cream or tan colored charlies, and maybe some yellow or orange charlies, as well. Though most folks use bead chain, I'd tie some with some light lead eyes. If you end up fishing in a little deeper water and there is a stiff wind, uplift caused by the wind or tidal current could pick your fly up off the bottom and out of the 'fish' zone, and the little extra weight could prove to be useful. Lastly, dorado like eating their own kinds, and olive or green over yellow deceivers can be very effective. Blue over white deceivers after that. Wahoo are known to like pink, as can tuna, and you might consider tying up some pink patterns accordingly. The wahool flies need to be on the larger side, while tuna can sometimes be picky and like smaller sized patterns.

Tough to beat a 2/0 hook as a building block hook size for offshore patterns. Inshore clousers I'd have some 2/0, mostly 2, and a few smaller. Tan over white clousers are effective crazy charlie alternatives. If there is a real chance you can catch trevally, depending on their size you will need super tough hooks as they will break strong hooks.

If you do offshore fishing, if you're there during hot wahoo time, you need to bring some wire.

Good luck!

3. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

Thanks for all the info and pattern/color selections. Think you give me some very solid stuff to work with. Any particular wire you like or recommend?

4. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Leaders are important; don't overlook how important they are. You'll need some stiff, powerful leaders to turn over big flies. I've never been to Guam, but I bet a dollar and a donut it's probably pretty breezy and at least lightly windy during the day, even more reason for powerful leaders. Grab a small roll of heavier mono (40 or 60 pound) in the event there's a need for bite tippet.

Here's an article written by a respected and veteran saltwater fly fisher about wire leader options for fly fishing. Tyger wire works great - tough and is one of the easiest to tie knots.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2016/02/25/wire-leaders-fly-fishing/

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

Sounds like Tyger wire is the ticket. Sounds like I have never made my own leader before. This should be fun!

6. gt

gt Active Member

Mason mono, very large diameter for the # test but will resist abrasion. dorado, you need to find out what they are feeding on. down S, it is 'iron head herring', i have no idea about Guam. that pattern is mouse gray and white on a 2/0 tied to be about 4" in length.

Richard E likes this.
  7. Mems

Mems Active Member

Mahi 4/0 bush pig in olive/white. Poppers, rainy's bubblehead pink or blue 5/0. Wahoo, ono, large baitfish with trail hook, 6/0. Wire bite guard, tyger wire works, but make sure it is 70lb. One ono, wahoo will destroy your fly, but it is worth it.
    Inshore small shrimp patterns, 06. Trevally small clousers 02 all black, yellow/white, orange/brown. Strip very fast. From what I have been told Guam is hammered inshore by locals. Try the military base if you can get on it. Good luck, Mems.

8. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

The few videos I’ve seen of the Guam wahoo, they were smaller specimens, more like Cero mackerel size. Without investing in 6/0 hooks just for the wahoo flies, the 4/0 hooks should work fine.

When Mems says inshore shrimp patterns, I’m pretty sure bugs like crazy charlie’s, Gotchas, even white/white or tan/white Clouser’s qualify.

9. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Mason is stiff, so it’s great for building warm water leaders. I think Rio and SA both make stiff mono, but I only have experience with Mason because I know it works. Buy 40, 30, 25, and 20 to make your big fly leaders. I recommend tying the leaders using uni knots as “jam” knots. Strong and simple.

For the inshore stuff, I like tapered leaders. Sometimes you have to strip your line through stuff/weed/rocks, etc, and the tapered leaders don’t snag on stuff as much as knotted leaders.

10. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Brook hunter, where you located?

11. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn’t see the updates. I live up in Bonney lake. I wish I had started my research quite a bit sooner because it seems like there are so many options. Stonefish shared a link all about shooting heads and what not. This makes me rethink all of my fly fishing stuff. Like what am I doing with so many different fly lines and spools?

It might be a dumb question, but it isn’t possible or easy to make a tapered leader is it?

12. gt

gt Active Member

tapered leaders are quite easy to make up as the need arises. just get familiar with the knots and away you go. i would also make 2 other suggestions: always include eyes on your salt water flies; don't use head cement, with constant use in the salt and sun, it will get soft, instead head to HD and buy a package of super glue.

13. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

When I saw Richard mention tapered and knotted leaders, I assumed tapered must have no knots. Lol. Thank you much for the tip on using super glue rather than head cement.

Richard E likes this.
  14. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

15. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

You are correct.