Tropical salt water flies?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brook hunter, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

All great suggestions, and the leader information is excellent.

I'd like to add that for inshore fishing, you can get away with a level leader, 10-20 lb test, about 8-10' will do. Fish, especially over coral, are generally not leader shy and are actually attracted by line slap or the heavy plop of the fly (the very occasional bonefish might beg to differ).

Commercial saltwater tapered leaders work great, tapered to not less than 10 lb, I wouldn't go lighter. Tippet can be 10-20 lb, depending on leader (if tapered). Coral and sand are highly abrasive and SW fishes, even small ones, tend to be toothy.

One consideration. Things might have changed since I last fished there in 1999, but be prepared for an audience when you fly-fish from shore.

If you can get access to Andersen AFB, your fishing possibilities improve considerably.

Offshore leaders, heavy! Very heavy! Wire!

Out of curiosity, what reels are you bringing, and how much backing? For inshore Guam, a decent 8 wt reel, think Orvis Hydros, with about 150-200 yds of backing, will do. This is not the Kiribati, so no fears of getting into 20lb trevally or the likes.

Offshore, hmm. Even a small Wahoo of about 15 lbs is a handful on a 10 wt (you really want a 12 wt), and a good and reliable drag on your reel becomes paramount. Loads of backing, more than 200 yds.

One other thing. Be prepared to lose your catch to sharks (inshore/offshore) and/or dolphins (offshore). Yes, Flipper is an expert fish robber.

FWIW, here is a sample of what I would typically bring for my yearly SWFF trip in the Pacific:

2017120601.jpg

Nothing fancy, all tried and tested patterns/colors that work for me (you can't see them, but the poppers have eyes, seems to make a difference). You'll need loads of flies, the ratio of flies used to fish caught, in my experience, is above 3 to 1, in the case of poppers maybe above 4 to 1, they get hammered really hard and the fish who go for them are all super-fangy, or maybe I'm just lousy at the SWFF game :D.

Again, out of curiosity, how many days will you be in Guam? Are you flying out on the island-hopper from San Francisco or Honolulu? If you are, you might want to think about stopping off along the way, some of the islands on the route (like Majuro, Pohnpei and Kosrae) offer fantastic inshore/offshore fishing.

Kenneth

PS. Talking about leaders, Supreme Leader Kim seems real interested in Guam these days, keep an eye out for him. Or his Hwasong toy :p.

2. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

I am just curious, did you make those poppers yourself? If not, where did you buy something like that? Can you tell me in your box on the lower left, are those deceivers or clousers? Also, in your box on the right, what is the patter on the lower left with the big round head? It sounds like you have had some killer fishing trips in the Pacific. I am jealous. Would love to see some fish photos. Unfortunately, I head from Seattle to Manila for a few days, then off to Guam. No cool fishing stops on the way. I definitely want to do some more tropical salt water stuff in the future.

3. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

For the 8wt, I have a Teton classic with 150 or 200 yards of 30lb power pro I think. On my 10wt I have a colton torrent 911 with 300 yards of 65lb suffix 832 superline braid.

Also, for smaller wahoo in Guam, could you recommend the lb test wire you'd use? Let's assume max 15-20lb wahoo? I figured I would use tyger wire.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. Mems

Mems Active Member

[​IMG]
    Wahoo, ono, see those teeth. They overlap and cut like scissors. If you use tyger wire, make it 70lb if you can find it. Straight wire, 150lbs is better. Wahoo pack up in gangs and can range from rockets 10-20lbs to submarines over 100lbs. You never know what you will run into. They are very hard to target with a fly rod. You will have most success trolling the fly. If you find a cargo net or log floating then they might be around it. They are very difficult to see in the water. Good luck, make up a couple of trolling flies with a swivel and wire and you will be ready to troll those or cast to fish if the opportunity arises. Mems.

5. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

BH, to answer your questions:

I tie all my own flies. Saltwater flies are cheaper if you make them yourself, unlike freshwater flies, IMHO. Easier to make too, since they're big and use very few materials.

You can buy the hard foam popper bodies and hooks as a kit, a 10 count kit can cost as little as a single off the shelf popper fly. Mylar tail, paint and eyes, and you're good to go, takes next to no time to make. Also a few Gummy Minnows in that box.

Black flies are Halfs and Halfs, as are the others in the box, except for a buncha minnows.

Bigheads are Bonefish Bitters, also very effective for wrasses, parrotfishes, etc., over coral. Others in the box are your classics, they work on any number of flats and coral species: Crazy Charlies, Gotchas, Turds, and a single Del Merkin's Crab that someone gave me.

Mems is the resident Wahoo go-to guy, what he says is gold.

Kenneth

6. Brook hunter

Brook hunter Member

Thanks for all the info. You guys are helpful and clearly very knowledgeable. I live in Washington state, so have mostly been a cold water fish guy. I have a great resource for flies and sold all my stuff because I couldn’t beat the value offered.

I think I am going to have to take your advice after this trip because there will definitely be more salt tropics in my future. I hope you don’t mind post Guam if I pick your brain about salt water fly tying materials, hooks, and such.

In the meantime, my resource is going to tie me a handful of things to go with what I have. I currently have Charlie’s, gotchas, and crabs. I’m so torn as what to request tied. I’m tempted to say I just want all Clousers on 2/0 or 4/0. I am thinking maybe olive/white, blue/white, olive/chartreuse, and pink/white. You think it makes much of a difference of Clouser vs deceiver?