Trouble on puyallup

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mitchell Filing, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Mitchell Filing

Mitchell Filing New Member

fished the puyallup three days in a row and couldnt hook into a fish to save my life. im a novice fly fisherman and need advice. i am a very patient person, but going three days without a bite really makes me angry:mad:

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    what are you trying to catch?

3. Mitchell Filing

i was trying to catch coho and chinook salmom, i was using a black, red and purple bunny leaches. then after a while i decided to pursue the small trout pupulation using nymphs. im stumped

4. Tony James

Tony James Member

Are you an Air Force Combat Controller?

5. Mitchell Filing

my father was...i am soon to be. im enlisting in the air force in 11 months and after basic im going to selection

6. Tony James

Tony James Member

ok, I'm retired Air Force and noticed you flashing one of our unit logos - you might consider holding off on that until you're in. Just a thought.

Getting mad about not catching a fish slightly indicates that someone missed a key point about rigging up a flyrod in the first place. Guys and gals don't normally take up fly fishing until they've graduated their anger management modules and have spent years 'fishing' as well as catching via other methods. This game often requires patience, skill, and that 'always learning' attitude. Probably wouldn't hurt to think about trying another river or the salt - that Puyallup is tough sledding right now. How about flinging a fly on the beach, there's lots of info about it on this forum!? I think your chances of hooking up would be pretty good too. Check out the skinny green or pink over white clousers and hang in there...and be patient.

Salmo_g and Mitchell Filing like this.
  7. Mitchell Filing

Well if it really bothers you I'll take it off haha

8. Tony James

Tony James Member

It's the right thing, thanks. If you want to hit one of the local rivers let me know, I'd be glad to take you out and show you a few techniques that may help you along this pretty cool journey with the flyrod!

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Part of your problem is you are fishing for closed mouth fish. Silvers and Kings don't eat when they enter fresh water. About the only way you are going to catch one is piss it off and hit your fly.

10. Billy Vanosdol

Billy Vanosdol Fly Chuker

I fish the Carbon myself.Use a long leader with a weighted fly.AKA Skykomish Sunrise. Fish below the gear guys." By the leah of the stone". Your fly has to get down and get down now. Need to tick the bottom. No snagging please.
    Keep it a secret don't tell anyone. [​IMG]

11. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Old man salmon do feed in fresh water just not actively. Given the opportunity of an irresistible meal they can be coaxed. Mitchel there are lots of better options for fishing for salmon. Try hitting nisqually. Take a pontoon down it if you have one. I think the puyallup is too colored right now for presenting flies that arent exploding with bright colors. Just my opinion though. Listen to the advice of others on this forum and you will find "most" of it helpful.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'll keep it pretty simple. Thomas, they don't feed, they simply strike out of being pissed. They are shutting down as they hit the mouth of the Puke. Growing up on North Levee, you could troll the bubble, but once they got into that bubble the bite would come off. Below the Hi Ho Hole, you get a single shot, and those fish are running up fast before the tide goes out to hit holding water. You CAN hit fish in the Puke, even heavily stained. I have punchcards over the years to prove it (both gear AND fly caught).

BTW, silvers normally start trickling in around mid September historically. Kings should be in, but those babies are VERY lock jawed until they get past the Fred Meyers. They just want to get to a hole they can rest in, which there isn't ANY in the Army Corp of Engineers area.

13. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Well Jerry I disagree, I catch salmon all the time on shrimp and eggs. They dont strike the eggs and shrimp cuz they are mad they eat them. Like I said before they do feed but not activley. But, yes you can piss a salmon off and get it to strike your offering.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    What do you know about life cycles of salmon? I am a life long gear angler. I just don't swing flies. I'm very proficient with bait. I've always cured my own in fact. All my years catching and keeping river salmon there's one thing I've yet to find. A salmon whose belly was full of shrimp and eggs. I too have caught more then you could imagine on both. Again I don't think they're trying to eat. They're destroying a possible threat. What are threats to their reproduction? Eggs that will reproduce and be competition fir their offspring and shrimp and other Small creatures that want to eat their eggs. In fact jacks are are known to aggressively eat eggs. But they're immature fish, probably why they are consuming them.

15. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

I caught a chinook and hooked several other on a jimmy legs stonefly under an indicator.