Trout Candy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by triploidjunkie, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well thanks for the info. I'll probably forget it as soon as I log off of here. I figure as long as they are in America they should use what we all studied and learned in our youth. I'm way to old and set in my ways to try to learn something new. So thanks again.

2. Chris Doyle

Chris Doyle New Member

Skwala. Way to early for Salmonflies. OBTW, both Skwalas and Salmonflies are Stoneflies.

3. tkww

tkww Member

A friend emailed me a pic recently of a salmonfly he found. Probably a week or week and a half ago. Obviously it hatched at the wrong time, but that does happen. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

Attached Files:

4. little rod

little rod Member

I see some red or orange on that bug. Skwalas have a light greenish coloring on them. My guess is Salmonfly

5. tkww

tkww Member

This weekend I was driving up a river road and encountered a Salmonfly hatch in full force. (I got out and caught one to make sure.) In full force. Dozens and dozens of them flying around. When i start fishing streams wither the end of may or the beginning of June, it's not unusual to see a (very) occasional Salmonfly and a couple-few Goldens. Basically coming in at the very tail end of their adult life. Seeings as that is ~6 weeks away, it looks like the stone hatches are definitely early this year.