Trout? Oh Yeah... I Remember Those. Are You Still Fishing For Them?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dan Cuomo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

No, they are far more special than just big trout. Triploids are just big trout. Steelhead are ocean going exceptional creatures.

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Biologically speaking of course.

3. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

I was dryline swinging for winter steelhead yesterday, and a large trout was 2 spey rod lengths away methodically rising to midges. I smiled and kept swinging for steelhead...

Adrian

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm an angler first. While I love steelhead fishing and spend lots of time and money chasing them, I like catching fish even more. I don't fish steelhead during times when the chance of catching them are slim and when I could be catching lots of trout. April to June, I fish lakes for trout and really enjoy it. Summer time I fish dries for creek trout in lonesome places. There are few things better than chasing summer steelhead in the fall and I wish there were six months of September and October. Winter mostly bites but I get through it with whitefish, trout, and winter steelhead.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I"ve never had so much as a bump on a steelhead fly, and have never seen one outside of a photograph. However, I did learn that I enjoy standing in the Methow throwing my Spey more than anything else, and am mesmerized by the action of the line, and the casting itself far more than any fish I've ever caught. When I put that together with a beautiful, wild river, I truly don't care about catching fish, just being there-for now-is enough.

6. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

It's even worse now. Just the other day I stuck - somewhat briefly - three fish on the swing. One of them struck violently, took me into the backing in about five seconds, and "threw" the hook, after maybe 45 seconds or so. I qualify the "threw" part because when I checked my hook, it had been partially straightened. Holy shit!

7. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

I am an Angler, do not understand why one would limit themselves to one species,or tactic, especially in the GNW. I fish for them all, Bass, Carp, Steelhead, Trout, Crappie, Waleye,etc., you name it man, if it swims I am all about it. Jesse, don't let Pan fool ya!

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Last time I went trout fishing in the lower 48 I caught a steelhead.

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I thought for sure I was screwed. Great, now I'm a steelhead brah and will soon be talking about steelfaces, getting an adipose tat'd on my neck, and pretending I know everything about steelheading after catching half a dozen fish. After all that makes me an expert right? ;)

All said.... The only thing I'm thinking about this week is hiking my watermaster up a tiny braid where the drift boats can't go. All I want is to be fishing small winter water for big hungry trout on a three weight. I'm remembering when I first started fly fishing - where I thought that the longer you hiked, the bigger the fish. I used to sit on the bank of the river and smoke a cigar religiously before even lining up - looking through my fly box trying to match whatever "new to me" bug was flying around. I loved the guarantee of solitude and stupid fish. Most of the time I was wrong. Some of the time I'd be right. A cast would lay out that was perfectly straight before hitting the water with a miracle curve at the end - enabling that extra 1.5 seconds of free drift required for a smashing rise to my dry fly.

I'm pretty sure I'll always fish for trout. You know, once in a while.

Steffan Brown likes this.
  10. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

I had a 18-19" rainbow peel off line, leap multiple leaps, two weeks ago after sucking down a pat's stone. After some battling, he came to a hand, free of shakes. This is when I realized I have problems...and the only remedy is to forget that ever happened. I'm sure I will be humbled by a trout again, and I will remember why they are so awesome. In the meantime, I will wait for my spey rod to come back from being repaired and focus on finding rising trout.

11. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Great! I'm addicted to steelheading AND I have to have my adipose neck tat removed.

12. FT

FT Active Member

After living in trout heaven (also known as Montana) for 12 years before I moved to the PNW in 1991, I've been disappointed each time I've fished for trout in Washington State. Any of you who have been able to spend a week or two fishing the storied waters of Montana have found out how great the trout fishing there is. Now imagine being able to fish these rivers and streams from mid-February until late November or some time in December when it gets to cold to fish and have an idea of what it is like to live and go trout fishing a lot there.

Unfortunately, our stream and river trout fishing in Washington State is awful in comparison so each time I fished for trout in our state, I've been disappointed. A good fly fisher in Montana can catch 10-14 trout an hour for several hours a day in the evening or morning on many of the rivers and streams there. Ours just doesn't compare.

However, we have steelhead, which Montana doesn't have (well the Kootenai drainage which includes the Yaak did have summer steelhead, sockey, coho, and chinook before Grand Coulee was completed and prevented the fish from getting into the upper most Columbia and its tributaries). I haven't fished for trout in at least 9 years because I'd rather fish for steelhead instead of driving 2-3 hrs from home to get sort of OK riverine trout fishing where 10 fish in a day's fishing is considered good fishing. I can be fishing for steelhead within 15 miles of home and a 30 miles drive puts me on some of the storied steelhead water in Northwest WA.

Granted, there are many days when those of us who pursue steelhead with a fly take a skunk, but I'd still rather fish for steelhead than any of the other fish I've fished for throughout my life. Before anyone criticizes my lack of species on fly rod, I've fished for and caught largemout bass (a lot of them, they are a sucker for a well placed popping bug or stipped streamer), smallmouth bass, trout, pickerel (I grew up in Pennsylvania and oftern fished for these), nothern pike (yes, it is great fun to hook and land a northern of 30#'s, but their fight is nowwhere near a steelhead's run), muskies (a nothern pike on sterioids), whitefish, carp (big ones a fun to catch in mid-day when the trout aren't really feeding), bull trout, crappie (delishes, but not much fight), blue gills, sunfish, perch, rock bass, trout from brownies to brookies, chinook, coho, chum (great fun on a fly rod), and pink salmon. However, none of them exites me like steelhead.

13. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

West side streams/rivers are not as productive as their eastside counterparts (including Montana's) because they receive less solar input. Anadromy allows fish to exploit the most productive environment available. With access to the ocean's resources rainbow trout have a choice...some choose to be steelhead and some don't. Those that decide to be steelhead migrate to abundant resources, those that stay are limited. Montana's trout get lots of sun and grow faster than westside trout, but eastside trout are more like Montana trout in terms of growth rates and stream carrying capacity. Look east of the Cascades for good trout fishing in Washington.

14. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

FT makes some illuminating statements which go a long way toward explaining my current position on steelhead here in WA. I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50, and I've lived a number of places and fished for many different species; smallmouth in the James River of Virginia, warm water fish in FL, brookies in Maine, and I cut my teeth on the trout of NY's Catskill's storied Charmed Circle. My avatar is a picture of one of the most beautiful fish I've ever caught - an eight inch native caught in a small mountain stream here in Western WA. I've fished Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. I'm not impuning trout. Steelhead are, for me and apparently at least a few others, just something altogether different.

Below is the latest fix. Resampled_2012-04-04_09-08-49_781.jpg

15. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I love my steelhead time. But there is something to be said about watching a trout snap a hopper or top water fly. Especially if you hear the take as it happens.