Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout Streams/rivers Near monroe/woodinville

9K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
I've mainly fished for trout in lakes, but now i'm thinking it would be fun to try to catch some trout in some streams or rivers near woodinville or Monroe, does any one know of any good to fair rivers or streams to fish for trout near woodinville or monroe?

#2 ·
Sorry, the nearest trout stream is the Yakima. If you shift to a 4/10 work week, though, you can easily fish it once a week. Seriously. There is not a single trout on the West side. Really. I hate to break it to you, but everybody here will tell you that.

#5 ·
Another thing you might think about if you want to stay with small fish on local rivers around Monroe is that with the salmon running upstream, they are inevitably followed by cutthroat and white fish. Silvers are a little too tightlipped for flies, but streamers can sometimes get a tug. Later on when they’re on their redds, it’s kind of cool to go below them where the cutts, dollies and white fish hang out waiting for eggs to float free from the redds. A guy with an indicator and an egg pattern can keep himself pretty entertained like that.

#7 ·
I feel your pain. I live in Snohomish and would love to have a river around here that has some decent trout fishing. I am not much of a lake fisherman so I usually drive over the mountains and fish some of the streams/rivers over there. It has been eluded to that some of the tribs to the Skykomish have decent fishing, but I have not tried them yet. When the Cedar is open that is the best fishing around here. Other than that you can drive to the forks of the Snoqualmie which are not too far from you.

Tom.

#9 ·
Swandazi,
Les Johnson's Fly-Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout will tell you just about all you'd want to know about coastal cutthroat (both resident and sea-run) and how to fish for them. Les (along with Bruce Ferguson and Pat Trotter) also wrote Fly-Fishing for Pacific Salmon which you may still be able to find, though a completely new, rewritten version with a lot more information on beach fishing is in the works and should be available early next year. I believe Steve Raymond's The Estuary Flyfisherman is still in print (Frank Amato Publications).

#10 ·
windtickler said:
Sorry, the nearest trout stream is the Yakima. If you shift to a 4/10 work week, though, you can easily fish it once a week. Seriously. There is not a single trout on the West side. Really. I hate to break it to you, but everybody here will tell you that.
There are others. Just not as popular. There are many forks of westide rivers that have barriers to salmon\steelhead - the forks of the snoqualmie as an example.

But I agree with others, there is plenty of reason to be content in the Monroe area - lakes (trout, bass, crappie, etc), rivers (white fish, sea run cutties, salmon and steelhead, etc), puget sound, etc.

#11 ·
windtickler said:
Yes there are trout in Streams on this side of the hump. You Have the N/F Skykomish above Deer falls. Rapid River, Beckler, Miller River, Foss River, Forth of July Creek, Money Creek. These are the head waters of the S/F Skykomish.

Jim

#12 ·
Old Man said:
Yes there are trout in Streams on this side of the hump. You Have the N/F Skykomish above Deer falls. Rapid River, Beckler, Miller River, Foss River, Forth of July Creek, Money Creek. These are the head waters of the S/F Skykomish.

Jim
Hey Jim or any one else who knows, What do these creeks fall under in the Reg book? In the case of the sky do they fall under the regs that own that section of the Sky that they dump in to?

#15 ·
The old man, the resident grouch feels some love in his heart! He just hooked up a whole bunch of you 3 and 4 weight wizards, somebody buy him a beer or two! I couldn't bring myself to do it. Hang on tight up in some of those little beauties, the fish taxi can make a day of 7 to 10 inchers turn into broken tippets and bruised butts chasing you know what down the creek. I've seen the odd Sockeye and other things in a couple of those creeks. I've always left em alone also. But every now and then that little caddis gets exploded on and its assholes and elbows time. 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds. You know who I'm talking about. It's getting that time. Every now and then a 16 inch or better resident shows his pretty little head also. Ah good memories. Tight lines. Your a good man resident grouch. Coach:beer2:
PS Windtickler, somebody's been lying to ya. Really lying to ya.

#16 ·
#22 ·
You guys are ruining everything. I had him believing there were no fish here. Dammit.

Which of course, for the people who took the time to quote me was a freaking joke.

I guess if you are not being an a**h**** around here, people will just assume you are anyway.

Isn't the best part of fishing exploring? Maybe we should just put up big signs THERE ARE FISH RIGHT HERE.

#23 ·
Come on Windtickler, I knew you were doing the right thing. In fact give em a little bone, the no trout deal is too obvious. It's the old man that laid down on us, god bless him. The cat was out of the bag. We can all be friends. That's alot of creek and river being referred to. Plus, you have to be willing to do an overnighter or many overnighters and hike your ass off to get to know them. Now how about the next time I get to Washington, I'll show you my favorite places on the west side with no trout, and you show me mine. We'll get "skunked" together. Remember to bring a 6 or 7 weight to companion with the 4 to my troutless places. In September. I'll buy the beer. Tight lines Coach:beer2:

#24 ·
Swandazi -
If you are going to do a lot exploring go to the local bookstore and get a Washington Gazetter - Delorme produces a good one. Many of us had dogged-eared copies with hand written notes that we would not part with.

I used to mark up potential spots (either from my own guesses or other recommendations) in one color and proven spots in a second color with notes. One of the great things about this State is that there are ton of diverse opportunities; some of which are pretty decent. Some how finding your own is more satisfying. Water temperatures will be dropping soon so the mountain stream fishing is winding down.

Have a good time exploring
Curt

#25 ·
Thats one thing that is so great about Washington, so much water to fish and it is virtually impossible to search it all. Plus every creek no matter how bad of fishing it looks, can have a perfect spot where the fishing can be great with 12 inchers every other cast. For example, Ken McLeod talks about a creek in the pilchuck area that was basically a steep trickle. It came out of a lake and if i remember correctly a little ways down form the lake there was a log jam that created the perfect habitiat and held a few fish that were 15+. Ironically, the very reason that gives us so much water to fish is the reason the fish dont grow to much size here. All the water has leached the nutrients out of the soil and into the Sound.

#26 ·
Get yourself a "Washington Road and Recreation Atlas"(about $20.00 in any sport shop) or a Washington Atlas and Gazetteer. Go to page 72 on the first one and you will find all that is listed on that page and page 58.

I prefer the first one because it is easier to use.

Yes, streams that are not listed in the regs fall under the state wide rules. Most will close at the end of October. You just have to read the regs.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.