Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Truck Biology in Bellevue

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  yehuda 
#1 ·
The Muckleshoots are trucking excess Issaquah Creek coho to Kelsey Creek today. They may be doing the same for Coal Creek. The unload area is behind the southe.rn most barn

#2 ·
The City of Bellevue recently completed a restoration project on Kelsey Creek upstream of the park in the golf course. The coho should have some nice spawning and rearing habitat available to them.

#4 ·
The Kelsey Creek project at Glendale CC took approx. 4 months to return the stream to a more natural flow, free of barriers (beaver dams). Currently low lying shrubs are being added stream side to keep summer water temps cool.
The result looks great and fish have been sighted.

#5 ·
Yeah I lead the crew that did the fish removal for the project prior to instream water work. There are quite a few fish in that creek. The contractor did a good job eliminating the weir barriers by re-grading the approach and adding LWD. Glad to hear that shrubs are being added. That will keep the temperatures down and the knotweed at bay. It is great that fish have been sighted already.

#6 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts (now removed by Taxon). I kept getting a server error of it timing out so I would re-try. I guess it was able to successfully upload my post. Oops.

#9 ·
Kelsey creek is a highly urbanized watershed. It is receiving pollutants from various sources, such as road run off from the many impervious surfaces surrounding it. It is an issue that impacts all urbanized watersheds and one that is not easily solved. Coho tend to be more sensitive to road run off pollution than other species. Also the creek is flashy when it rains, once again due to a high rate of impervious surface within the watershed. That does not help any deposited eggs. From experience though, there are a lot of fish in that creek within the restoration area. I suspect other areas also have abundant amounts of fish. Cutthroat seem to do well.

#10 ·
I wonder how good it is for the native fish populations of those small streams?I understand the nutrient load those hatchery fish may provide. I just wonder what the less desirable effects are of dumping out of system fish into them?
SF

#14 ·
i know this is from over a year ago but i just moved back to PNW. I grew up fishing
Kelsey Creek when Glendale was in its first year. The trout fishing along the golf
course always brought home dinner . The entire area along the course was grand fishing
for my after school buddies and me. The Salmon run was enormous and filled the creek
in the small deeper pools. I am thrilled to read it is back up to what it was long ago.
We are talking about my fishing that tiny creek around 55 years ago.

#15 ·
That's cool yehuda.
I often think of the little south Sound creek my buddies and I did the same with back in the '50's/'60's.
I'm afraid it hasn't fared nearly as well as Kelsey Cr.

This does provide hope, and must give you a good feeling to know that about your childhood creek though!

#19 ·
Thanks--what is important is the creek is alive in such an urban setting. I cannot
drive into Bellevue anymore. All i recognize are the street signs and my old high
school --Sammamish.

it seems that the volunteers and fisheries folks get big time kudos . I am really 67
and grew up on that '''secret''' fishing creek. We knew every tiny hole and riffle
and Glendale had the best fishing ...above 8th Avenue it went downhill. I drove by
the Golf Course and the creek now is shrouded in trees and low lying brush. I
am pretty certain any youngster could sneak onto the golf course late afternoon
during season on a week day and bring home dinner. Thank you for replying. I am
planning my Montana trip for this summer. Last time I fished Swan River and Big Hole
it was magical but that was 47 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.