Trying new material tonight

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Decided to use rabbit strips instead of marabou for a tail tonight but it kept spinning on the hook shank, also I was testing some kevlar thread. After the first get go I waxed the thread and made up a firm base with the same results. I think the hide probably isn't compressing like it should. I like the idea of the kevlar since these old fingers get a little heavy handed at times and the breakage to frustration is about 50/50. I think Zen just did a fly with a rabbit strip tail.

Daryle

2. Daryle Holmstrom

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    What I do is tie in the thread like normal (just tie over itself to for the base). Then do a softloop over the tail and firmly pull down on it. Normally don't have a problem with rolling.

4. wet line

wet line New Member

I experienced the same problem and started putting a dab of flexament at the tie in area. Place the strip and throw a few wraps around it and tie off with a half hitch and let the glue set-up.

Dave

5. Charles Beaver

Charles Beaver New Member

I actually had the same problem but I found that if I wrap my first loop lightly then second I get a little my snug and the more loops the snugger I get. That works for me at leat. I had the same problem with elk hair.

oh and the glue helps alot :D

6. Davy

Davy Active Member

you can also try just a drop or two of water or cocktail from your tying needle to moisten the rabbit at the ty-in point , this will help it compress further and tighter.
    I do this with feather wings all the time.

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I have good luck controlling the spinning of the material if after the initial attaching of the material I lift the material and wrap the shank of the hook several times aft (below) the tie in point and then wrap over the material again. This attaches the material at a couple points and seems to help. Takes a little experience so that enough room is left below the initial tie in point so that when you are done the tail flows straight from the shank.

For really difficult material I also do something similar at the front of the tie in point giving me 3 attachment points.

Good luck
    Curt

8. Daryle Holmstrom

Found it was with the kevlar thread, it slips extremely around the hook, tried they same with danville, no problems.

Daryle

9. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I haven't found rabbit strips to be unusually inclined to spin, but here are two things I do anyway during the tying-in procedure (sometimes one or the other, sometimes both): (1) I clip the fur off the front 1/8 - 1/4 inch. (2) I put a bit of glue at the tying-in point.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Geez, this is something that I don't have any problem with. Most of my problems come from trying to tie everything else on.

I always put down a thread base before I do the rabbit. It seems to help it stay in place.

Jim