Trying out some custom bamboo rods, interested?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

That is exactly where I was thinking Paul.

James,

Yes, home brewed at my house. Currently have a high gravity IPA and chocolate milk stout on tap.

2. JS

JS Active Member

I am really interested as well. I have actually been thinking about undertaking my first cane build. I am just collecting the tools currently, but would love to toss some of his tapers and pick his brain.

3. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

Nooksack... That is a sweet idea, I would love to have a go on that stick. Just for shits and giggles we can compare it with a Sharpes 15'er i will have with me. Oh yeah.... someone bring a 10/11 wt mid/long belly too :)

Eric and Paul.. that sounds about right. best part of winter camping.... No FireBan! And some good homebrew by the fireside is so what my soul is in need of right about now.... Stout and a big Hoptacular IPA should sort that out nicely!

J.S... for sure come out and have a cast/chat/brain pick (although picking my brain can be very similar to picking the last of the christmas turkey off the carcass :). I might suggest starting with some smaller single hand rods for your first few rods tho to get the basics down before trying to work the large diameter, unruley strips used for making spey rods from. Just a thought.

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I'll bring the lines, too. Just don't schedule it opposite the Super Bowl!

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Steelhead park at Rockport should be perfect. Any interest in reserving one of the Adirondack huts? I think there's 8 bunks; we can hang a couple tarps in front to ward off the chill, and a fire near the picnic table. How about potluck chilli or stew for dinner? Not many restaurants left around Rockport.

Sg

6. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Both excellent ideas. I put a call in to the park ranger to check availability on the cabins. Looks like there are 2 and each sleeps 4. I left a message and will let everyone know when I hear back.

http://www.skagitcounty.net/Common/...Recreation&c=General&p=parks/howardmiller.htm

7. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

Nooksack thats football right? ;)

I would be into a hut if there is enough interest to make it worthwhile. Sound like acool spot for a group.

I am currently sitting in the 100+ people cue to get my dam passport renued. Realized last night that it had expired in dec.

8. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

Eric. I am planning on arriving friday the 20th sometime in the afternoon. So see about 2 cabin days? Less stuff to bring if possible.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Canecaster,

The Adirondack hut is just a 3-sided shelter, not a real cabin. You still have to bring a thermarest and bedroll of some kind, but they're much more convenient than pitching a tent in the rain. Makes for a nice sleeping shelter and covered eating area near the camp fire.

Good luck on the passport. I had to renew mine last year, and it took about 2 weeks.

Sg

10. sctarrant

sctarrant New Member

James,

This looks like a perfect opportunity to see more of your work and take them for a test drive! I'm hoping I can make the trip.

Thanks,
    Scott T.

11. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

12. sctarrant

sctarrant New Member

I'll have to confirm my attendance for sure but I'd be willing to pitch in for a cabin or hut if there is space available.

Thanks,
    Scott T.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

If you guys want to rent anything I would suggest you get on it. The Skagit is full of eagle gawkers right now and they likely have most everything reserved up.

14. CaneCaster

CaneCaster Member

Scott. Cool. now I don't have to email you about it :)
    Do you think you can make it? it's not too far for you?

James

15. sctarrant

sctarrant New Member

James, It's an adventure but doable! I'm going to see what I can do to make it happen. If you guys don't mind the newbie to the group...

Thanks,
    Scott