Tube flies?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Willie Bodger, May 26, 2005.

1. Anil

Anil Active Member

What I don’t get is how you can be sure how patterns you’ve never seen swim? There are flies that jig, that are not Clouser minnows.
    Yes, a fly tied on a hook (particularly a heavy wire hook, or one with weighted eyes) will jig. It will even jig more effectively with a loop knot. My question is; what gauge of cable are you using for tippet? Does a fly have to hang perpendicular in order to jig? Does a Clouser not jig, when tied with a clinch knot? With reasonable tippet diameter and stiffness, I find that flies tied on hooks, jig very effectively even when tied with a standard (non looped) knot.
    Perhaps the tube flies that we tie don’t jig very well in your mind, but they dive headfirst in the water while I’m fishing. I don’t really see what loop knots have to do with this anyway? I thought the argument was about jigging? I don’t think anyone ever claimed that using a loop knot would help a tube fly to jig???
    Maybe we aren’t talking about the same thing? A properly designed tube fly will dive headfirst. This is what I call ‘jigging.’ The patterns that I tie for this purpose are fairly quick and easy. Maybe you prefer to tie your patterns (like Clousers) on hooks, great. The patterns that I tie are not Clousers, or variations of that pattern. They require no exceptional effort, are durable and jig very well. Their design actually demands a tube rather than a hook.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

2. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Anil, it's physics.

A clouser will jig, somewlhat, when tied with tight clinch knot. The weight of the fly and gravity, which obviously cause the jigging motion, are fighting the stiffness of the tippet. As you well know, it won't jig or swim nearly as effectively with a clinch knot as it will with a loop knot.

The tube fly has a double whammy that hinders its ability to jig and swim. One, it can't jig because, if the hook is seated in soft tubing, the tippet wants to keep the fly horizontal while the fly wants to jig. No matter what knot is used. And, any lenghth of tube adds stiffness to the tippet. ANY length; and, the longer the tube, the stiffer that connection. The stiffer that connection, the more it hinders the jigging ability of the fly.

I'll have to stop by your shop and show you. You seem to have 'tube fly myopia', but that's all good! Tube flies are great and have advantages over other flies, but those parts of their design that provide them those advantages in turn don't lend them to fishing as well as other flies.

3. Anil

Anil Active Member

Richard,
    Fair enough. I haven’t seen you in a while anyway. Maybe we can reach some sort of agreement (or maybe not) and post afterwards.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

4. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

I smell a troll. :thumb:

5. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

i understand completely what richard is saying.... the loop knot will only work well with non tube flys... he is correct in saying its basic physics.. cuz it totally is... if you tried to use heavy leader with a tube fly you would not get nearly the action as if you had the loop knot and a non-tube fly... the loop knot allows for a "joint" in the system which allows the fly to pivot up and down much easier than would a tube fly! end of story no more arguing! go out and catch some damn fish with which ever fly floats your boat!

6. wet line

wet line New Member

Richard and Goose you say it is physics, have you studied physics? It is actually mechanics! Or applied enginering.

The shock and awe jigs! I have seen it in person and would suggest you do the same.

You can speculate all you want and discredit what you haven't seen but your ideas have no validity once you see the shock and awe in action!!!! Go check it out. As I was told growing up the proof is in the pudding! The shock and awe is a revolutionary concept. Go and look an open your eyes. In some ways it may be as significant as the Buzz Bomb when it comes to lures!
    Dave