SBS Turbo Leech SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Dec 3, 2012.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

There's only 3 patterns that I developed that many anglers have used with good success. This one is responsible for at least half of the fish I catch in stillwaters. I call it a Turbo Leech because it is so fast to tie.

I tie it in a number of colors but olive and brown seem to produce the most trout for me. I'm showing a burgundy color because it also works from time to time and the color is prettier than olive or brown :) Black is another producing color as is yellow... so is chartreuse. Sooooo, I tie them up in a number of sizes and colors. Afterall, they are fast to tie so I can cover a lot of bases. During damselfly hatches, a size 12 olive color Turbo Leech with a gold bead head normally works better for me than more realistic looking damselfly nymph patterns.

404871267.jpg

Materials:

Hook: Spear-It N063 or similar 3X long wet fly hook, sizes 4-10
    Bead: Gold or silver
    Thread: 8/0 black or match fly color
    Rib: Copper, gold, silver or red wire (normally I use copper for all my Turbo Leech patterns but I used red for this one)
    Tail/Body: Blood quill marabou

Step 1: Install a bead and clamp the hook in the vise

404871266.jpg

Step 2: Attach a length of wire and over-wrap the hook shank, stop above the hook barb

404871270.jpg

Step 3: Tie in a single marabou feather so the tail extends about the length of the hook, make sure the wraps are tight

404871269.jpg

Step 4: Run the thread forward to the bead. Twist the marabou into a rope and wind forward to the bead (option: twist the wire rib in with the marabou, in either case, the rib is meant to add a bit of durability to the marabou)

404871268.jpg

Final: Whip-finish and you're done

404871267.jpg

You'll find that I'll mention a Turbo Leech pattern quite often when talking about stillwater patterns.
    Now you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    wanative, madmike98, svira and 5 others like this.
  2. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Gene,

Very nice; thanks for the SBS. Looks like a good fly for the Blackfeet lakes.

Regards,
    Scott

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I tie a version of this with bead chain eyes instead of a bead and emu hackles instead of marabou
    great trout/ low water steelhead fly

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

This pattern on a scud hook is killer under an indicator. Rusty red, olive, and burgundy have been good for me.​

Mark Mercer likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I use the same approach for WBs when I want the same color for both the tail and the body. The difference is, I tie in a saddle hackle at the eye after wrapping the body, wind the feather to the rear and then use the wire ribbing to lock down the hackle fibers and the body but advancing it forward.

wanative likes this.
  6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Tie it in olive and throw a softhackle behind the bead(red) and a couple of rubber centipede legs and its a killer dragonfly nymph pattern

7. madmike98

madmike98 Aww sh!t

I know this is an older post and it's a simple fly but where did the pics go?

crequa and Buzzy like this.
  8. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

yeah, repost GAT, please.

crequa likes this.
  9. Deep Swing

Deep Swing Active Member

Picts please
    ;)
    DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. hbmcc

hbmcc Active Member

Gene!!! I have your hooks. Now I want your fly. But we need pictures? I hope you have?

11. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Home Page:
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Oh crap! I closed my Picturetrail account and forgot I had used some of the photos in Picturetrail and linked them to this site. The photos now live in my puter so I'll repost.

Oops:eek:

Geezus, that's a very old post and I only got 1 like from the readers so I didn't think anyone really cared.... sheesh.

BTW, that SBS is so old that I no longer use the hook noted in the post. I've switched to using Spear-It D312 for just about all my leech and WB patterns.

I tied this one up just the other day on a D312 with olive marabou and green wire:

turbo leech.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    svira, hbmcc and onefish like this.
  13. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Thanks for reposting! Merci beaucoup!

14. hbmcc

hbmcc Active Member

Ahhhh, yes. A leech in disguise. If it is all the same, since I've never heard of the hook brand, I will use a different one. Unless, you are certain that Spear-It spears more jaws.

Thanks so much for accommodating your petulant audience, Gene. I will be happy to bestow one or two 'likes'.:D

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I can't say that the Spear-It works any better than another make of hook but because they are a tad heavier wire than the Daiichi of the same design -- which is odd because Daiichi makes the Spear-It hook for Spirit River -- I like using the hook for subsurface patterns. The straight eye hook also makes it easier to tie patterns on and I'm all about easy :D

wanative and hbmcc like this.