Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Turkey loads?

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  reamse 
#1 ·
So...I hit the range last night to pattern my shotgun and have mixed results.

I'm using a .665 (I believe that is the correct decimal point location?) Remmington Super Full Turkey choke and shot at 25 yard and 50 yard turkey targets (set range points...was hoping to plug one at 30-35, no dice). I used two types of shells since I already had them and they seem to fit the description of a "turkey load", which were:

- Kent Fastlead, 2.75" 1-3/8 oz #5, 1550 fps, 3-1/4 dr.eq.
- Remmington Express, 2.75" 1-1/4 oz #5, 1330 fps, 3-3/4 dr.eq.

Anyway, my results varied, the Kent had more pellets at 50 yards within the 16 dia. circle (rougly 30-40), however, the Remington actually had a more even pattern at 25 yards.

So my question is what should I use? Obviously a 50 yard shot is possibly beyond the envelope of ethics, but since I was not able to shoot between 25-50 yards I'm not certain which to use.

Lastly, should I go out and buy a box of honest "turkey" loads or am I good with the 2.75" shells that I'm using? A little embarrased to say this, but I'm sort of afraid to shoot anything beyond 2.75"...the recoil of 5 shells through the turkey choke felt like 4-rounds of trap (100 shells)!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would definitely up the antie to at least a 3" shell, these birds are tough. I shoot 3 1/2" Federal Flite Control loads with 1 1/4 oz. of lead in size 6 shot. It's all about PELLET COUNT!!! Lots of lead, cut into lots of pieces. And when there's a fired up gobbler in front of you, recoil doesn't exist. Hope this helps!

#3 ·
Coastalcutt speaks wise words: lots of lead (and lots of powder behind it). Shoot turkey loads in the largest shell your gun will handle. I shoot 3-1/2 inch and have a PatternMaster choke tube which gives me as tight of a pattern as I can get with my gun. I pace off 30 yards and that's where I put decoys. If the gobbler comes in, you know you're good (providing you get a front on shot). If he hangs up beyond 40 yards, I personally won't take the shot. And obviously if I don't get a front-on shot I won't take it either. For me, the thrill of turkey hunting is working a gobbler in nice and close. Get a box of turkey loads- hell, one box will last you years. Good luck- have fun.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice all...one last question: does the fps matter? For instance I noticed that I need at least a 3.5" shell to match the velocity of a 2.75" shell. Remington's buffered turkey loads a mid 1300 for a 2.75", however, you go to a 3" and you drop almost a 100 fps. You'r pushing more lead out, but doesn't that also mean with a drop in velocity that your pattern is more likely to baloon out quicker? I'm far from a ballastics expert...which is very appearant!

Some guys wonder what tie to wear to work...others wonder what shell they should be locking and loading at WORK! :clown:

#6 ·
I personally don't sweat the fps- it all gets there plenty fast, and because you're shooting lead, the density of the shot means it'll penetrate, unlike steel shot for waterfowl. More lead in a longer shell spells meat on the table! If you're in good range (~30 yards), have a tight choke, your pattern will do the trick.

#8 ·
I shot my last turkey at 5 yards. the shell didnt matter I assure you.
I dont think what load you shoot is all that important. More important is how each load patterns out of your gun/choke. But more pellets is better. Shoot something with a good pattern out to about 40 yards and go get them.
Good luck
David

#9 ·
Just popping in to drop off my $.01999....

I've had good luck with the Hevi-Shot loads. They make a load for turkey, the Hevi-Shot 13, in 3" or 3-1/2", in #5 or #6.

Those loads drop a bird. The force is amazing, and I can sleep well knowing that I'm not shooting lead.

I know they are expensive. I won't be popping them off at the 5-stand, but when I'm in the field, it only takes one.

Good Luck,

Michael

http://www.hevishot.com/images/panels/turkey/HeviShot Hevi13 Sell Sheet.pdf

#10 ·
This raises a valid point. While lead is still legal in the turkey woods, lead is not the best thing to be pumping into the environment. A box of ten shells lasts a long time, under normal turkey hunting circumstances. I'll probably opt for a non-toxic load after my box of lead is spent. I've had the box for 5 years and there are 6 shells left.

I hope to get rid of another one on Tuesday.

Good luck to all heading out there this week.

#12 ·
I have a CASE of hevi-shot #5, however, my choke I purchased states lead only, and on the packaging goes even further and states "not to be used with steel, lead alternative, or non toxic shot."

I'd hate to experiment and test whether or not Remington is wrong. :(

#15 ·
Yet to even get out...my buddy keeps postponing either due to weather or other reasons. So to keep my sanity I've just been purchasing more gear :thumb:

Scheduled to go 7-10th, and if nothing I'm going to try to convince my BIL when comes to visit to go...

#17 ·
Just a clarification: It states Lead only on the choke tube. If you have an aftermarket Xtra Full or Full choke it will be able to handle Hevi Shot. This only applies to Chokes that have marked on them lead only. If this is what you got don't shot hevi shot through them.

Benelli Shotguns are CRIO tech chrome lined and can shot anything. But it is where the thin walled chokes tube systems hardness comes into play with shot choices.

Either way you go. If your can put pellets on target at 30 yards. I would go with what works.:ray1:

#26 ·
As far as turkey loads, I knew guys that shot turkey with 2 3/4 number 8's.

But then again I shot my two toms last season, with 10 gauge 3.5, number 5 winchester turkey loads.

So it's really up to you, I would suggest a good turkey load is better though, if you buy a box it will last a few seasons anyways so the price is really spread out over a few seasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.