Turkeys

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh Benjamin, Mar 14, 2007.

1. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

I don't know Washington, but max shot size in Idaho for turkeys is BB in lead and T in steel.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/hunt/rules/turkey/turkey.pdf, top left of page 10.

Rolland

ps. there are no turkeys in the panhandle, and certainly none in northwestern Montana. OTOH, Montana wants $118 for an out of state turkey tag so maybe I can admit to seeing a few there. :p

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Took my son over near Cle Elum yesterday for his first turkey hunt (first hunt period, since he just took his Hunter Ed this spring). Spent Friday scouting for birds and chose a spot to set up this morning. Hiked in at 5AM, got situated, and waited. A bird was gobbling from his roost one draw over from our location, and when he got out of his tree, he continued his racket. We responded with some yelps, and he came in without much hesitation. Actually passed by our blind within 15 feet as he made his way to the decoys. By 6:20 my son had bagged his first gobbler. Everything went down just like one always hopes it will (but seldom does in my experience).

Today ranks right up there as one of the best days in my life!

3. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

What a great bird and story! I had the pleasure of calling in both of my brothers first birds when they were 10. It's awesome when everything is just text book...
    Congrats!

Next weekend it's our turn...:D

4. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Congrats Itchy you must be one proud Dad! Sounds like a text book hunt!

5. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Awesome, congrats!

6 more days until it opens here. I think I can live that long.:rofl:

6. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    The only thing left to do now is convince the boy's mother that the hide/fan really should grace the walls of his bedroom. She seems to think that it belongs in the garage.

Good luck to everyone this weekend if you get out. Post your reports when you can.

7. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

Itchy Dog...thats awesome. i didn't even think about the youth hunt this weekend until i saw your post. tell the kid congrats and he did great.
    as far as the fan/beard in the house...i can't help you with that...all my stuff is confined to the garage.

8. DanTennant_22

DanTennant_22 chasin' steel

Good work young itchy dog! That is a good looking bird and a fun sounding hunt. I am getting pumped up for the coming weeks. With my first turkey I made two wing bone yelpers out of its wings. very good looking calls, and they sound good too. buy another tag and go play!

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I know that you are talking about turkey's in Washington. But the season has started over here by me and I have yet to hear anybody shooting them. Last year in this area there were few turkeys and this year there are about 40 of them big birds.

I know this won't help but I thought that I would just put it out there. I saw the males out in the fields struting around yesterday.

Jim

10. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Nice!

11. LSTEPHENSON

LSTEPHENSON New Member

I'm heading for Colville Friday morning for my yearly spring Turkey hunt. I am very fortunate to have 600 private acres that I'm allowed to hunt on. I took a new hunter last year and he killed his first long beard and he's going back for another try this year. I'm also taking another new hunter along this year. I really enjoy introducing new people to the sport and calling in birds. Best of luck to all of you this season.
    Regards,
    Larry

12. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    How'd everyone do on opener? Where we hunted (near Davenport) the birds
    didn't seem to be henned up quite yet (but probably will be very soon).
    Saw a lot of birds and 3 guys filled three tags so it was a good harvest this year.
    It's always a good time in the spring turkey woods.

Good luck to those who still have hunts planned.

13. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

I went out with my dad and a friend south of Colville. I had an absolute blast!

Saturday, we scouted around the area. I got to see a bunch of turkeys. We spotted some hens and a couple of gobblers in the far corner of a field near a gully with some good cover.

Sunday morning, we set up at o'dark o'clock in what we thought was a place near where they might be roosting. We got situated and waited for the sun to come up. As the first light came up over the hills, I started to spot the dark shapes of the birds in the trees. Apparently the birds had also noticed us moving in. They started gobbling like they were agitated. I swear it was so loud my ears were ringing. My heart was pumping like crazy. A couple of jakes and a huge gobbler flew down from the trees and landed about 50 yards from me. Unfortunately, I was facing away from them at a 45 degree angle. I suddenly felt like I was exposed too much. They started fanning and strutting. Man were they pissed. One of them made a couple of rushes toward my position. I held totally still. At that point I thought one of them was going to strut right into my sights. However, as suddenly as all the racket had started and the birds had come down out of the trees, they were gone. Yep, they must have spotted something they didn't like. They bailed into the cover.

That afternoon, we tried to set up out of sight on another tom we could see strutting and fanning with a couple of hens. Unfortunately, we couldn't call him down to our position.

That evening, we went back to the field where we'd been schooled by the birds in the morning. I suggest we see if the birds would come back and roost in same area that night. This time we were on the opposite side of the field. My friend got out his slate and made a few yelps. Sure enough, we heard a couple of toms reply with gobbles somewhere a few fields away. My friend suggested we quickly set up on the other side of the field. We hustled over to the other side of the field and set up behind a pile of dead logs and twigs. He called a few more times. The toms were aproaching fast. All of the sudden a big tom closed the distance of a 75 yards right into our decoys. He came in on my friend's side of the stuff, so it made sense that he should take the shot. The bird was strutting, fanning, spitting, and showing us his stuff. I couldn't believe how big he was up close. 10 yards away. My friend fires. He misses. :( The bird takes off running like Roadrunner. I sat there thinking that was the coolest thing I've ever seen! What an experience. I was trying to console my friend about the shot. The bird was so close.

Anyway, I'm hooked on Turkey hunting. I think I understand why people enjoy it. I have a heck of a lot to learn about it. I hope to make it out again before the season is over.

14. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

we got our azzes handed to us 3 days in a row:mad:
    we were into birds every day, but they would not come to the calls. it was a blast anyway and we found some real nice moose sheds to boot.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. SightCast6X

SightCast6X americanshotgunner.com

Great looking sheds! No turkey hunting for me this year:( . Baby on the way. Good luck guys! and gals.