Twanoh today

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

I'll agree with everybody, Gig Harbor is an awesome shop, and I've had nothing but good interactions with all of the guys there. They have a ton of materials, good classes, great flys, and serve beer in a movie theater during fly fishing movies... there it is.

2. Theron

Theron Active Member

When I visit the area each year I rely a lot on lists of public beaches where I know I can a least wet a line and hope to catch something. I plan on moving to the area when I retire later this year and will be out there looking for those more secluded beaches. In the meantime I appreciate having a list of beaches I can find without too much trouble.

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Jonathan, nice to see you around. I've been keeping up on the blog here and there--hope to see some reports up again from you!

Jason

4. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the kind words. However, I will not be posting reports on here anymore due to the constant negativity by certain individuals. I just feel I need to post something when I see a good person or friend getting bashed unnecessarily. I will keep the blog going though for those that wish to see pictures and reports. Tight lines Jason, I hope 2013 is a super fishy year for you. Hit me up if you want to fish sometime.

5. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Not that more n

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    None of the spots mentioned on GHFS's list is one of my usual local places to fish, so this doesn't bother me at all. There may be someone else who has been fishing these spots for quite some time now, and had been enjoying relatively uncrowded conditions until this list was made public, and that now has to contend with ever-growing competition for the prime spot from which to cast....a growing competition which might not have arisen if there was no such public disclosure. Those people may not be amused.
    But what the Hell, this is America, and businesses here have always been free, if not to "ruin," then at least to expose nearly every formerly little known pristine spot, all in the name of profit. So now "the public" knows about these spots that a relatively few individuals formerly held near and dear as their "semi-secret" escapes. There's always some locals that have been enjoying a place mostly to themselves before some shop (surf, fly, whatever) comes into town and feels the need to start issuing reports, in order to drum up more business and properly serve their customers. These locals who are used to having a place to themselves always are going to hate it when someone sends in a flock of newbies. That's just the way it is.
    I don't hold any grudge against GHFS for posting that list. They need to promote their business, and that of course will naturally involve telling people how and where they can access some decent fishing. Of course, personally, I would rather that they kept the list "in shop," rather than posting it online, just for GP.
    But I still plan to visit their shop one of these days. I want to test peddle some of their yaks.
    In fact, I think that it might be easier for me to convince another paddler to go check out a couple of those places with me, now that they can see 'em on a list

7. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Wow the BS got deep in here fast. Unless you have never bought anything from any shop ever and construct everything you use, you rely on an industry that needs to make a profit to stay solvent so that we can all keep casting. Now-a-days that includes online reports. Welcome to the 1990's.

Munro likes this.
  8. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Just go fish! I didn't even look at the list, I just fish. We all know that any beach can produce or be completely void of fish at any given day, tide or??? Who knows, you just have to be there flogging the water as much as you can at that right time. Put in your time, and you might get lucky.

9. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Accurate to the last letter. Beach fishing is totally right place/right time kinda thing. Don't think, just do!

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Stick Point is HOT right now

Roger Stephens likes this.
  11. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

That is funny! My fishing buddies and I give a name to all our fishing locations so that it is easy to explain where we were fishing. One of my favorite spots is named "Stick Pt." but it is not up in your area:) .

Roger

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

I won't divulge, I won't divulge;-)

13. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

This thread has been very revealing. I share good beach locations with close fishing buddies who can keep a secret and who post good reports but not specific locations. Kids like the Pimp will eventually learn the hard way why it is a terrible idea to post good fishing locations on the Internet. Enjoy the crowds, trash, and conflicts fellas!

14. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I'll add to this by saying that, as a "newer" flyfisher (been at it about 6 years and only in my early 30s), I hope that I might occasionally hear about some of our local gems from more experienced anglers. As such, whether on a fly fishing forum or in real life, I keep details on locations close to the chest, because I know that if I'm out spouting about how I caught fish in certain spots then people will probably be less likely to want to share.

For my part, I know that there is a wealth of information out there that anglers have heard from other anglers, who heard from other anglers before that, who heard from other anglers before that even. So not only do I want to keep the very few lesser known spots I know of to myself for my own benefit, but I hope it pays off later on down the road by making more experienced anglers comfortable sharing with me later on.

Anyway, that's my take and how I approach it.

Jason

15. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    Thank god only one of my favorite places was mentioned. $hit like this is why i dont like taking others. I only have very few friends I fish with and hunt with even fewer. that way i know when i come back years later no one will be there yet again.

The best way to learn a awesome spot is trial and error. That is how i learned all my favorite fishing spots. When you ask for spots you are limiting yourself so much.

Clint

TomB and dryflylarry like this.