Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Two Handed Gathering on the Beach

6K views 63 replies 22 participants last post by  Bob Jones 
#1 ·
In another thread the idea of getting some folks interested in using two handers (spey or switch rods) from the beach together. After a few recommendations it was decided to gather at Lions Field Park in Bremerton Washington. The address is 408 Lebo Boulevard, Bremerton WA. Below are three maps of various zoom levels to use as a reference to get you there. You can also mapquest turn by turn directions yourself or use your Gar-Tom-Gellan navigational device if you need one.

Who: Anyone who wants to come, bring a two handed rod, spey or switch (single handers are not excluded, if that is what you have, roll with it and maybe test fly someone's toy)
What: Two handed gathering on the beach
When: Friday December 4th, 2009
Where: Lions Field Park Waterfront
What Time: Show up at 10am and we'll stay a while.
Why: Try out some two handed overhead casting techniques, and maybe some toys shared and compared. Size does not matter, all rods can be two handed overhead cast.

Lions is within a short drive of the Bremerton Ferry. Anyone driving on the Bainbridge Island or Kingston Ferry runs will have about a 20-25 minute drive from ferry landing to the Lions Field Park. If you need more information on how to get there or anything else send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer your ???'s.

If you are motivated to bring toys to share, food or beverages to share let it be known. This can be a simple day on the beach with others or more of a festive outing, totally up to each of you. If you are coming, post it here. If you are bringing gear to share, post it here. If you are bringing something to eat/drink and share, post it here. See you all next week.

Particulars about the park:
* 15 acres
* 1,950 linear feet of shoreline
* 4 ballfields, 2 lighted
* Walking path
* 12 picnic tables
* Covered picnic shelter
* 7 park benches
* 2 restrooms
* Boat launch
* 150 parking spaces
* Large waterfront dock

Tides: 13' HIGH at 7:15am 7'11" LOW at 12:40pm This will give us some challenges with the high tide level. There are some trees to our backs but there are ample gaps to lay out a backcast. This tide cycle is not one of the greater pushers of water. Lions Field sees water movement that is "walking pace" many days throughout the year, that is why people go there to cast in this urban "river".

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-X9Nv
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-7j5Tn8pVaJGJPD5e
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-Th3pVuBQi_9SkLTu

See less See more
#58 ·
So since casting the two handed rods I have a question regarding real fishing situations. Obviously, once you master the techniques, fly fishing for steelhead this way has got to be fun. So, not knowing the techniques to ANY degree at this point, doesn't "ripping" (not the correct term of course!) your line out of the water in front of you spook the fish?! Hopefully you spey guys are working it out carefully along the stream at first, right? Seems like pulling 60' of line out of the water or more would put a number of fish down...:hmmm:

#61 ·
Larry we need to go to Fall City or Ben Howard on the weekends to get some training. I have watched my son use his spey on the Deschutes and it's a beautiful thing. I took one class but then got sick and since it was a begnner class it didn't have too much great casting. I
did see my son catch a nice hen steelhead on that trip. Try going to You tube and look up spey fishing or casting, there are some great videos there. We just need to get at it because you can use these casts for regular fishinig. Bob

#62 ·
Larry go to the spey clave postings and look at the one titled 'not to bad ......for a girl' Bob

#63 ·
Yes Bob, you should try to make one of those at Fall City. You get expert training from a expert spey caster. All for free, so you can't beat that. Besides at Aaron's classes there is a great number of expert casters there. That will help you over all your stupid mistakes that you picked up from a video on spey casting.

I tried it all for a while but the cost kept me down. Not a sport for a retired living on a fixed income.

#64 ·
OMJ Yeah I'm in the same boat income wise. Luckily i got my steelhead set up some time back and then when i was given a spey rod for Christmast 2 years ago my steelhead reel was suitable for that too. i was really lucky in that the reel was discontinued but that there were extra spools available so it was just the cost of the spools and lines I had to scrape up. Now I have to keep telling myself I have enough stuff I just need to go fishing when I can. Have a a good winter I'm sure we'll chat at other times on the forum, take care Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.